Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you warm up your Duramax before driving
1st time in the morning and also after it hasn't been used for a while during the day ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Maybe 5 seconds, just enough to let the oil come up and then am just easy on it till it comes up to temp.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Maybe 5 seconds, just enough to let the oil come up and then am just easy on it till it comes up to temp.
I do about the same. except when i need to shovel drive way after a snow and the truck will sit and idle until i'm done. as long as you are easy on it until its at or near operating temp ( above 180 )you should be allright.

·
Registered
500 Posts
In the morning, first thing, about 5 minutes or so. Getting off work, anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes ... depending on outside temp.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Depends on the outside temp. I wait a minimum of till the glowplugs/ air intake heater shut off(you can tell when the volt gauge stops dipping) or the oil pressure drops a bit. In the summer maybe 20 seconds. Then I drive easy till the truck is fully warmed and then :grd:

If its real cold I will wait till the high idle kicks off. Or if its like 35 were the high idle kicks off I will let it idel for a few minutes and do something productive(like take a wiz or the like) and then hop in and put the parking brake on and put her in gear and bring the idle up to about a grand for a minute or 2. Pick out a Cd or make a phone call ect.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I wait about 40 seconds to a minute on first startup in the am, maybe longer is it is cold (less than freezing), and maybe 15 to 20 secs if it has been run withing 4 hours or less.

Bill

·
Registered
317 Posts
About a minute, then just be really easy on it until it's warm.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Depends on the temp outside. 20-30's, 5 minutes. Teens, 5-10. 0-10-long enough for to make a pot of coffee, get situated, comfy, start on my coffee, find a good XM station, plug the phone in and go.
Rarely will I start and go. Only in the summer months will I do that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Depends on the outside temp. I wait a minimum of till the glowplugs/ air intake heater shut off(you can tell when the volt gauge stops dipping) or the oil pressure drops a bit.

excellent observation RatLover

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses . This is my 1st diesel and I am a
little curious about the change from the 6.0 gasser. I am sure I will have other questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts