Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know what the optimum amount (in inches) would be between the top of your bedrail and the bottom of your gooseneck beam? This would be for off-road, pasture situations. Also, has anyone had problems with too little of clearance (again, between the top of their bedrail and the bottome of the beam of their gooseneck)?
I've got an old bumper-pull trailer that was converted to a gooseneck, but I'm not sure if the person I had do it placed the gooseneck part high enough for a truck with the stock bed in place. It works great for a flat bed, but there's only about an inch clearance between top of bed and bottom of beam. I also have a 20' Easley Stock trailer, but haven't taken the time to drive over where it is and hook it up to compare the two trailers.
If your wondering the truck is an '06 extended cab, long bed with a turnover ball.

If anyone has any ideas, or info please expound on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have 6" on my 5er RV & I have touched the top rear of the bedrail once in about 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
6" is pretty much the minimum.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would have to measure but I would say mine is more around 12" and when travelling in and out of fields with steep driveways, it has come within 1-2" of hitting.
No matter what height it is set at always watch during situations like that.

With the same trailer my friend has taken out the top of his right box side twice. But that was on a Superduty and the box sides are taller. and he had 35's on.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Six inches seems to be the consensious for 5vers, but most people don't drive them in off-road and in pastures.
Can't say for sure for off-road, but I would tend to agree with dirtyedge. More for your situation would be better.
My truck/5ver has about 6.5 inches, and that clearence can go away pretty quick when driving in some places, where I'm supposed to drive.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When I bought my 5th wheel, I attached the gooseneck adapter to the trailer, and driving it home, I have ONE inch of clearance to the bed. I tapped it twice just getting it home (5 miles). The 5th wheel on the trailer has series of bolts for adjustment. I raised it up to about 4-5 inches, and have no problems now. I won't go off-road, but I have been lucky in some tight spots so far. I still knudge the toolbox on sharp turns, but I just watch it close. My pin doesn't angle forward like most trailers. It goes straight down.

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Reese recommends 6 inches for 5th wheel trailers - with the warning that off-road situations may call for more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts