Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new 2500HD D/A and am considering a sprayed-on or insert bed liner. Are there any opinions of the different sprayed-on products and their pros and cons? Also, what is the estimated cost and is there any benefit to have it applied to the wheel wells?

This is my first post to the board and really value the opinions of those lurking here. I already know what D/A means.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'd suggest Line-X spray in. It's the toughest on the market and much better than a plactic lay in liner. Have the bed rails sprayed also.
Cost around $500 and takes a couple hours. Dries is 3 seconds.

Never considered wheel wells, sounds like it's not needed?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I have Line-X and have been very pleased with it. Had it shot under-rail when I bought the truck in 2000, had the rails shot in December of '03. It's applied hot by the vendor and is excellent stuff. Another DMaxer in Minnesota had his wheelwells shot with Line-X, I thought it was a great idea, but when I approached my Line-X guy in Green Bay about it, he said he wouldn't even try and didn't know how you could shoot it overhead.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a SuperLiner ( http://www.bedliner.com ), which I love. Essentially same stuff as Rhino and Line-X, but Superliner has UV-Protection built in, so it's not supposed to fade. Had the local f*rd dealer install it and a turnover-ball hitch. Liner was $350.

Personally, I would be afraid of an over-the-rail application leaving overspray.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I didn't have any overspray problems on my over-the-rail application, but I did notice a couple small spots where the clear coat was roughed a bit just below where they shot the line-x. I am guessing they rough up the paint before they spray the liner and somebody got carried away. Of course when I pointed it out to them they said it was there prior. I know that wasn't true, but didn't pursue it since a little light buffing took care of the problem.

As far as shooting overhead on the fender wells, how do they shoot it under the bed rail without spraying overhead?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I think they consider the under the rail as a horizontal shot, habanero.
The Green Bay guy was talking about being up inside the fenders and wouldn't attempt it. They very carefully prep and mask any Line-X shot (except for habanero's extra roughing) and it is applied hot and sets up almost immediately. They use a special masking tape with an inserted wire that "cuts" the edge of the spray and makes a very distinct shoulder where the rail spray ends. Over the rail is important for our thin-skinned truck beds - I've seen many complaints of people getting wrinkled bed rails just climbing in and out over them. The Line-X is harder than other spray systems and about 1/8" thick, really stiffens up and protects the rails.
Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the Line-X over the rails... They did a GREAT job!!
... It also stiffened up the top of the bed... See my truck pictures for details............Triffid

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also have the Line-X sprayed over the rails and am very pleased. I would have it done again without a doubt.

Greg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Definitely go with a sprayed bed liner. I gotta say go with Rhino. I had the Line-X liner on my last truck. It did a great job for tough work, but I thought it was a bit too rough - I have two dogs and when they were in the back, the rough bumps of the liner seemed to catch a lot of their hair, had it everywhere after camping trips. Plus it was rough on the knuckles when scooping things up. THe Rhino liner is just as tough, still holds cargo and things in place, but seems to have just a bit smoother finish to it - not near as much hair back there now. I got mine for $380 over the rails.

HD

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll be getting Rhino Liner in my truck next week.

The dealer Tried to sell me on another brand, but it just didn't seem to be as tough, or as thick.

I am paying $475 for "Over the rail".

·
Registered
463 Posts
I put a Bed Rug in when I bought my truck 2-1/2 years ago. I have beat the crap out of it, and it is still in great shape.

There are several things that sold me on it...The bed floor is completely flat, nothing slides on it when driving, it is water and oil resistant, it doesn't get hot to the touch (a biggie in the Florida sunshine), things don't rattle when driving, the bed floor and tailgate are one piece, so debris does not fall between the bed and gate. And one of the nicest things is you can actually kneel on it without killing your knees, in fact it is very comfortable. Besides all that, it looks really good too!

Just mt two cents worth...

Kevin

BTW, you can get it for around $300 to your door.Edited by: Fireman

·
Registered
576 Posts
Where did you get that and what did it cost?

Fireman said:
I put a Bed Rug in when I bought my truck 2-1/2 years ago. I have beat the crap out of it, and it is still in great shape.

There are several things that sold me on it...The bed floor is completely flat, nothing slides on it when driving, it is water and oil resistant, it doesn't get hot to the touch (a biggie in the Florida sunshine), things don't rattle when driving, the bed floor and tailgate are one piece, so debris does not fall between the bed and gate. And one of the nicest things is you can actually kneel on it without killing your knees, in fact it is very comfortable. Besides all that, it looks really good too!

Kevin

BTW, you can get it for around $300 to your door.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I will be getting the Line-X on mine towards the end of the month and it WILL DEFINITELY be over the rail.

If you go to http://www.line-x.com/ they show pictures of how they apply it.

ALSO....there is a $20.00 off coupon you can print out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mike330R said:
Where did you get that and what did it cost?

Fireman said:

Kevin

BTW, you can get it for around $300 to your door.

Give me a little time and I'll find it for ya. Gotta feed lunch to the kids...

KevinEdited by: Fireman

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Speedliner" is claimed to be 2x stronger then Rino and Line=X as well as offering significantly more UV protection (fade-free). Does anyone have any experience with this spray-on bedliner? How does it hold up with abuse and sun? Is its' texture between Rino and Line-X?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Trippin said:

Bed Rug!

I've studied spray-in liners for several years and most seem to fade and look weathered after the first year or two. I also didn't like the idea that the truck bed painted surface needed to be "roughed up" so the spray-in material would adhere to it. There was also the concern of over spray during installation. Bed Rug was the solution.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You guys with the bed rugs must not use your trucks like I do. I haul gravel, river rock, dirt, sand, all shoveled out by hand. Engines, rear ends, transfer case’s and trannys (anti-freeze, motor oil, gear oil, etc.). I could just see what a manual tranny full of 90 weight oil would do to a rug, the smell would be there forever.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.