Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo much info on the inter web on what I can tow with my truck I am eliminating the back and forth of yes I'm OK, And nope I'm over weight.

Relying on you guys I know can trust an honest opinion.

2005 Gmc: Sierra 2500 HD Ext cab 6.6 lly 202,000 miles, bone stock except for : ARE bed topper, BFG 2857516 tires on factory wheels (don't say it i know what your thinking), Firestone airbags, bilstien shocks all the way around, keys turned up to level front end only, pcv bypassed, egr blocked with plate, prodigy brake controller ( currently pulling 7500 bumper pull camper).
GCWR 22,000
GVWR 9200
GAWR FRT 4670
GAWR RR 6084

Trailer: Grand Design 337 RLS
UVW110697 lbs
Hitch Weight12090 lbs
GVWR13995 lbs
Length235' 6"
Height512' 6"

My calculations are 22,000 - 13,995 (14,000) = 8,000 weight limit on the truck loaded.

Last time I was on a scale for scrapping some junk I was low 6,000 #

Is it realistic to calculate topper removal, 5th wheel hitch install, gas, wife, # 6 dog and other cr*p loaded up, to be within these guidelines or do I need to down size trailer model to a lighter unit. I WILL NOT give up the truck she's been to good too me.

And do people really load 3300 # in their trailer ??

Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I bet that 3300 lbs would include if your black, gray and clean water tanks were full.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was always taught drive with empty or dam near tanks, save fuel and wear n tear. I travel with 5 or so gallons in the fresh tank and 5 in the black with treatment mix Fresh water for cleaning up after a lunch/ snack stop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the weight limit for the truck itself is its GVWR (9200 lb.). To determine what the truck can carry you may have a sticker on a door jamb or glovebox, or somewhere that gives you the truck weight when it was built. If not, you'd have to weigh the truck, preferably loaded as it would be when going camping. Whichever way you get the weight, subtract the weight from the 9200 to get the amount of additional weight you could have based on staying at or under 9200 lb.
Some use the rear axle weight rating to gauge whether they are overweight or not because they are likely over the GVWR of the truck.
Also, I'll bet your trailer hitch weight (pin wt.) will be higher than 2090 lb., probably 2700-2800 lb. A way to estimate pin weight that's been around for years is that the 5th wheel trailer pin wt. is approx. 20% of the trailer GVWR and it's been pretty accurate.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got on scale today full fuel and a good amount of lumber for a home deck project. Scaled in at #7440. And thank you for your input, see a lot that the thread has been read but your one of the few with some input, much appreciated, I just want to pull safe and not worry about tossing us over a cliff, or getting blow off the roads by a big rigger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Geez, I just figured out I switched to sending you to a link to a truck camper forum instead of 5th wheels. Here's the 5th wheel forum link:
5th wheel forum
Sorry bout that.....The Website is RV.net and there are multiple forums associated with RV's. A lot of good info, but be prepared for some intense discussions when it comes to using weight ratings of a particular truck and/or trailer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geez, I just figured out I switched to sending you to a link to a truck camper forum instead of 5th wheels. Here's the 5th wheel forum link:
5th wheel forum
Sorry bout that.....The Website is RV.net and there are multiple forums associated with RV's. A lot of good info, but be prepared for some intense discussions when it comes to using weight ratings of a particular truck and/or trailer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha ha all good man, and yeah I’m aware of that site and lots and lots of info. Came to the conclusion running the numbers I need to down size trailer weight, just want to be comfortable towing and not worry, hardest part is smaller the trailer smaller the shower, I’m 6’2 and corner showers just too small. Thanks for your input, much appreciated👍🏻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts