Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone as you probably read I smoked my stock charger. After parting with some truck parts I luckilly now have the money for a little hairdryer upgrade. First thing, I will try to get a used stock LLY charger for 500 dollars or less. If they are more, I figure its not worth my money and id get a better value by going to a bigger turbo. Seeing as I DID blow up my stock one.

I see Discount Power Parts has the BD for a good price... I would be installing it myself, theres no way I could afford labor of installation on top of the cost of the turbo. Is the installation bolt on and pretty straight forward? Im not afraid of digging into my Allison...would a turbo install be any harder??:rolleyes:

Any ideas on general price range for twins? Or should I just PM IdahoCTD? Are twins really feasable of installing myself? Considering what you get with each turbo, which is a better value? Im definetly leaning towards the BD... because it supports 550hp and I cant see myself wanting to make more than that on fuel. Basically I just want to go under 13 seconds on fuel only. Can the BD support that "confidently" and safely (providing my trans will shift right)? How is spool up time compared to stock for both twins and BD? Would I need headstuds for either? If I need headstuds for twins and not for the BD, than that will seal the deal. Im not dealing with headstuds... Does the trans need to come out for either install? How much of the engine has to be "taken apart"? I saw Max Payne's pics and it looks like he kept the trans in, and only needed to move the AC compressor...

--ben

(btw this is obviosuly all with MY money from selling the extra truck parts, I work three jobs each summer and ahve been working every summer since 7th grade, I just wanted to make that clear because frankly nothing irritates me more than when people see my truck and say "wow nice parents", sorry, just wanted to make that clear)

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I would personally go with the BD Turbo over the twins. Keep in mind the BD Turbo is not released for the LLY yet. Yes you could make it work with EFI Live. You might have to fab a bracket for the heat shield.

The reasons I would go with the BD is that the stock charger creates too much back pressure which will always limit your twin setup. The other major reason I would go with the BD is price. I would also prefer to maintain almost stock appearance under the hood. I also don't think I could do with out my second battery with my Espar heater living in Manitoba. Relocating it doesn't really sit well with me either.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
From what I recall, the LLY twins setup is supposed to be fairly straight forward, I have heard that two people working together on it can bolt a set on in about 8 hrs. As far as studs, Juice's is living at 55 psi without them. The best bet would be to talk to Idaho CTD on price, or call DTT. The BD seems to be a real nice setup also, but exactly how much fuel do you plan on running with EFI? Overbuilding is always better if you can afford to do it!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I completely agree with you Tony, thanks!! I was defiently leaning towards the BD (...how do you change the fuel filter in a twin'd truck??) but just figured id throw the option out there, all I needed was one person to convince me otherwise... so I guess BD it is...twins would stretch my budget a little too much anyways.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If you conserned about end out of pocket cost at this point in you life, I suggest going the the BD even though it uses a wastegate your EFI should take care of any issues. The twins are an invloved install, plus on top of the kit you still need to replace your VVT, to be clear the twins setup only comes with one extra turbo.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
1.The reasons I would go with the BD is that the stock charger creates too much back pressure which will always limit your twin setup. 2.The other major reason I would go with the BD is price. 3.I would also prefer to maintain almost stock appearance under the hood. 4.I also don't think I could do with out my second battery with my Espar heater living in Manitoba. 5.Relocating it doesn't really sit well with me either.
1.Untrue with Westor's or EFI you can control the VVT and make more boost than a single turbo.
2. True, BD is probably half the cost.
3.To each his own.
4.I have both my Batteries
5. I upgraded to a Yellow Top for a second Battery, It has just as much protection as it had in the stock location and is very easily serviceable.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
1. Sure you can control it but are you measuring drive pressure? Do you know how much back pressure there is?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
somthing like 80-90 PSI at 40 pounds of boost right?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright you guys have sold me...I think im going to go with a BD Supermax

can you run 12's on fuel only with the BD?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Damn ben. I am jeaous. Could you buy one for me as well for talking you into it? :D

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont be jealous yet!! I still need to come up with an extra 300 dollars or so somehow...trying to look for other thigns I can sell...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
alright you guys have sold me...I think im going to go with a BD Supermax

can you run 12's on fuel only with the BD?
ben,

You can run 12's on fuel without it, so yes you can run 12's with it. It is a huge improvement over stock. Get the manifold too!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Congrats on making the leap Ben. You're doomed now, no turning back.

I can't wait for this new racing season with all the hopped up LLY's coming out. Will be much more fun trying to figure out things when there's more than two of them:D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ben, there is aslo an Aurora 2000 for sale right now in the for sale section! I dont know anything about the 2000 except it was on an LB7 and if you were going to adapt the BD supermax for the LB7 to the LLY it couldnt be to much different. He wants $1400 for it i belive. He just upgraded to twins i think so you could always PM him.

Here the link to the post in the forsale section
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65278

And the user is subman631

·
Registered
593 Posts
now wouldn't ben need head studs also? just don't want to see a another thread with ben going what did i do now lol.
rob

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
now wouldn't ben need head studs also? just don't want to see a another thread with ben going what did i do now lol.
rob
The BD has a wastegate, so he could probably get away with no studs. But it is Ben...

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
rob
I managed to blow head gasket(s) with my Aurora 2000 even with head studs. No one is sure why, could have been caused by H2O/Meth, propane, a combo of both or something else. All I know for sure is re-doing head gaskets is not cheap!! :jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
so they way it sounds 50psi sounds safe with stock head studs, adding lp seams to add around 4psi boost what i have seen

keep in mind each tune can have a difference in overall maximum boost, some tunes do not make it up to the wasgate setting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.