Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
has anybody installed the bd improved left side exhaust manifold and seen any difference in egt's or engine performance? im thinking about it but...$300:eek::( dam! it BETTER be worth it! thanx guys

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Noting major that i noticed. I realy just needed another place for a pyro tap, but it is a good investment. I cant see how it could do anything but help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do a search for it. You will find tons of info. There are a lot of us that have put it on. I did it mainly for the egt bung and the larger design doesnt hurt either. I didnt notice any performance gain really. BD is a good company with quality parts and you always pay for what you get or you get what you pay for.......I would buy it again.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
:exactly:

·
Registered
640 Posts
i like it, exhaust sounds better also

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ordered mine today.:)

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Nothing major will be gained at all. You will just have easier access to monitor EGT's from that side without having to drill and tap..

·
Registered
572 Posts
You won't notice any gains, but you will be eliminating a restriction on the driver's side exhaust. You will have a balanced exhaust flow and eliminate a hot spot around cylinder number 6. When you see the difference in person between the BD and factory manifold Kink, I think you will feel it is worth the money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BD Manifold

X2

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Swapping in a BD manifold was the first upgrade I did to my truck and I did sensed a very slight performance boost. Maybe not enough to warrant the cost (I had the dealer install it) but I wouldn't have been satisfied adding a five-inch exhaust and new intercooler knowing I still had a crimped exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ive been looking at BD manifold as well, also have seen some stuff on ATS manifolds and up pipes, any thoughts on these?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Ive been looking at BD manifold as well, also have seen some stuff on ATS manifolds and up pipes, any thoughts on these?
ATS only makes a Dodge Cummins exhaust manifold. If you want a crimpless Duramax exhaust manifold BD is the only game in town.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
ATS only makes a Dodge Cummins exhaust manifold. If you want a crimpless Duramax exhaust manifold BD is the only game in town.
ATS has been pimp'in some Dmax manifolds (both sides) and up pipes in the Diesel mags but they aren't available yet.... at least not on the website.
They look to be a bit more performance oriented than stock style replacement of the BD manifold.

·
¡ʎɹoʇs ɟo puǝ ¡ǝɯosʍɐ ɯI
2,307 Posts
^^^^are you talking about there pulse flow headers?? if so there on page 42 of there cataloge

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
ATS has been pimp'in some Dmax manifolds (both sides) and up pipes in the Diesel mags but they aren't available yet.... at least not on the website.
They look to be a bit more performance oriented than stock style replacement of the BD manifold.
Good point that manufacturers' web sites can be out-of-date with respect to what's available. They're hurting themselves for no reason since it's so easy to keep a web site current. If I see something I like in one of the magazines I immediately go to the web site so I can bookmark it for future reference. If it's not at the web site and the magazine gets tossed, oh well!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I bought it mainly for the pyro tap after reading of some reports of the stock manifolds cracking after drilling and tapping.But after I removed the stock manifold and got a look at the restriction thats hidden under the heat shield, that alone made it worth the cost to me. It wasn't that hard to install. Remove wheel,wheel well liner,steering shaft (do the lube while you have the shaft out) and its right in front of you.Took me 3-4 hrs by myself. My only issue with the manifold was I was not happy with the length my autometer pyro probe extended into the manifold.I wound up tapping the bd a little deeper to get more of the probe into the gas stream.Just be careful its a tapered pipe thread,go slow and easy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same issue with the pyro probe length, not hard to fix with a 1/4" pipe tap, You will be cussing that heat shield though. I also did not notice any difference, just did it for the pyro tap.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im sold, im gonna get one.... sometime between the spray-in bedliner & the leveling kit & boost and pyro gauges & ...... crap, im out of money (again) :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts