Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BD Performance had their Fall Dyno Day yesterday, a great time was had by all.. Free food and drinks and lots of great company. It was my first dyno event so I didn't know what to expect going in but I'm really glad I went, I met some great people. The weather was perfect, dry but mild temperatures.

My truck ran twice, the first run I (and everyone else) saw the board hit 260-261HP but afterwards it only showed a max of 245. The second run netted 257.1HP, so I kept that one. That was stock with a straight piped exhaust and K&N filter. To gauge it, there was a stock '03 Ram that posted a 265. The other two stock Duramaxes (with the Allison) posted 239/242.

I got to meet Got Juice?, what a nice guy. He took me for a ride in his truck, that thing is FAST, unfortunately the transmission was slipping pretty badly even in 3rd gear under full acceleration. He was only able to post 441 on the dyno, BUT watching the dyno and hearing the transmission let go at a certain RPM it was obvious that it was capable of much, much higher than 441. The dyno tech from BD gave it a shot to see if he could get the tranny to hold. It didn't work for him, either, but he says it feels like at least a 500 horsepower truck.

John (Got Juice?) let me try out his Bullydog downloader on my 6-speed, set it at level 4 (155hp) and took it down the street.. Holy cow batman, 3rd gear would start burning rubber on dry pavement just from getting into the throttle while rolling at around 20-25MPH, no clutch needed, and that's with the 315/70R17 tires on! The thing smoked like a locomotive too, it sure was fun to play with and not being able to see the cars behind me.. I've got to get me one of these now!

I was going to hook up John's combination (Hot juice/155hp Bullydog) on my truck and run it on the dyno, since his transmission wasn't taking it, but it was right near the end of the day and they wouldn't let me on, said I was too late.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
SO JUICE DONE 441 WITH A SLIPPING TRANNY??? NOT BAD AT ALL IMO. FOR A SLIPPING TRANNY ESPECIALLY

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Peanut's excited!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, hopefully that puts some of the naysayers to bed. I'm sure there will be some which still feel he hasn't proven it, but personally I'd like to move on to understanding how the H-OJ & BD are stacking better than other stacks. Also, would love to see this stack on a strong tranny/different truck.

So, what do the experts think (a little tongue in cheek with that question)?

Oh, and GotJuice, if you're reading this: Congrats!Edited by: Joe E

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'd say GJ should be proud of that #. That is I believe a bit higher than he expected on his first run and right in the ballpark of what all of us that knew his other # was faulty thought it could produce.

Joe E I don't know why you think that is stacking better than other combos. It seems to be right in there with what several expected. I know a Stealth 135 and a small box will make over 450.

Way to go GJ. You drove a long way to find out if you could back it up. Very respectable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, I'm assuming based on the pieces of info I've read, that the stack is getting him somewhere between 441 & 543 (with a good tranny I believe he would be closer to 500), and I was under the impression that a Q135 & H-OJ would be in the 420-440 range. So, it seems to be a better stack from what I understand. Please feel free to correct me, as I really am interested and sincerely want to know/understand.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
IS THE BULLYDOG BOX A PULSE BOX OR A PRESSURE BOX?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Joe E why would he be over 441? I haven't dyno'd the Q135 and H-OJ. But The Q135 and VA 110 make 440+ on any properly working dyno. I don't understand how that would be a better stack. The Q135 is rated smaller than the Bullydog and yet you expected from -20hp to =.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, his first dyno run last month was at 543, so this was a "verification" run, and he ran into major tranny problems. I don't "know" he'll hit it again, but I personally think he would run over 441 with a healthy tranny (just my opinion). That makes it a pretty healthy stack, since the H-OJ should be in the 390-410 range alone.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
reasonable and believeable numbers

·
Registered
611 Posts
Are those numbers posted on the BD site yet? cause I can't see his numbers .

·
Registered
310 Posts
NOT BAD AT ALL!!!
441HP AND A SMOKED TRANNY!!! ONLY 103HP DOWN FROM THE "WONDERSTACK."

ONLY 40 HP MORE THAN I MADE WITH ONLY A REG JUICE 3.61 AND PROPANE. AND MY TRANNY STILL RUNS GREAT. 0% SLIP IN 5TH ACCORDING TO THE ATTITUDE.

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY IN THE LAB.

"IF REPEATABILITY IS AN ISSUE, PERFORM THE TEST ONLY ONCE."

CHANGING DYNOS AND CHANGING BOXES WAS A SMART MOVE. LOTSA VARIABLES TO BLAME IT ON.

HEY, I GOT A WILD IDEA. WHY DON'T SOMEONE DYNO LIKE I DID. IT'S CALLED THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD. RECORD ALL OF THE DATA AND CHANGE ONLY 1 VARIABLE AT A TIME. HOW ABOUT A CALIBRATION RUN, THEN DYNO STOCK FOR BASELINE, THEN ONE BOX AT A TIME, THEN STACK BOTH BOXES, TRY MULTIPLE COMBOS, ETC. THEN RECORD CORRECTION FACTORS FOR ALTITUDE, TEMP, HUMIDITY, ETC. USE A TECH II TO LOCK IT IN 4TH GEAR.

WE CAN GET BETTER INFO FROM A OUIJA BOARD FOR ALL OF THE LACK OF DATA AND REPEATABILITY.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I GOT OUT OF ALL OF THIS: ONCE YOU START STACKING BOXES, YOU'LL BE BUYING A SUNCOAST OR YOU'LL BE TOWING IT HOME.

SO JUST TO BE POLITE, ANYONE CARE TO DISCUSS THE POTENTIAL REASONS FOR SUCH A LARGE DIFFERENCE IN RESULTS?

LET'S TRY TO KEEP IT TECHNICAL, NOT PERSONAL.

OOPS! Caps lock was on. Oh well, at least PEENUT can read it!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I doubt the tranny slipped much on the dyno but that is just my opinion. I'm guessing with his new attitude monitor he should be able to tell us. I bet the reason for the large difference is that the first dyno was having technical difficulties. Kind of like my first run at the DHRA race Saturday, the timeslip said I ran 13.4 @ 125 mph but I knew that was wrong before I even read the other side of the slip which said the Ford dually beside me ran 278 mph in the 1/8 and 33 mph in the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I dont know cp......those ford are quick for the first 1/8........

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He should have made much higher than 441HP, you could hear the RPM's shoot up after a certain RPM (I'm guessing ~2200-2300rpm?) by the transmission slipping when the horsepower really started to climb hard. The experts here know that the d-max is capable of making the most power at 3000+RPM, so if if this truck hit 441 way before 3000rpm, then couldn't read any higher because of the tranny slipping, how do you figure that's "right"?

The numbers aren't posted on the BD site yet, it hasn't been updated, the dyno results currently online are from the spring dyno day.

My only explanation for there being a 100hp difference between his last dyno and this one is the transmission problems. I thought it was pretty obvious. I guess some people won't believe his transmission slipped, either, or think that a healthy transmission wouldn't have netted any more horsepower than the 441 he got.

He didn't have the attitude monitor hooked up, Edge didn't have his box reprogrammed in time so he had them send it back to him (with the old programming) so he'd have it back in time for the dyno run.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If indeed a the dyno chart shows 441rwhp at 2200-2300rpm, then I would agree there was alot more left that didn't make it to the rolllers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dyno charts are measured in MPH, not RPM's, I'm sure someone can translate it though. I don't think/know if John plans to return to this board, I don't blame him for not wanting to, I'll see if he'd like me to post his dyno graph though.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PS, this weekend at the Idaho dyno day Bullydog's duramax laid down 549 RWHP with a special box and no drugs. There was a stock duramax that ran 239 on the same dyno.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts