Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i called bd power today to try and find out what the specs are on the compressor side of their turbo...
the guy i talked to said the compressor wheel was 62mm???
does anyone know if this is true....
and he didnt have any info on the inducer size...
that is what spec i really need becuase the rules around here states the inducer size cant be no larger than 2.5 inches... and they are going to check it with the same plug used at enterprises charity pull...
does anyone else know anymore specs on this turbo to help me out.
thanks Eric

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If it is in fact larger than the 2.5" are you allowed to put a reducer on it? A few do that down here so they can make into the 2.8" class with a bigger charger. These are Dodges I'm talking about that are doing the necking down.

If you CAN neck down, obviously you have nothing to worry about. If NOT, hopefully someone will chime in with some hard numbers for you so you can get your truck legal.

Just out of curiosity, why 2.5? Thats so close to the stock DMax size that it woudl be unlikely for the aftermarket to produce something so close to stock size. Although I guess BD is close. Are there some common chargers used on Dodges or Fords that are right at 2.5"?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is a 62mm inducer wheel.

Smokeshow, if you haven't seen the map, not all 62mm wheels are created equal. Let me know if you want a copy. Inducer wheel diameter is only a rough sign on how much the turbo will flow. There are so many more factors like vane length, hub size, wheel height,etc.... that effect it.

I'm rather surprised they let you necked down, as it is pretty close to cheating. ;)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you CAN neck down, obviously you have nothing to worry about. If NOT, hopefully someone will chime in with some hard numbers for you so you can get your truck legal.

Just out of curiosity, why 2.5? Thats so close to the stock DMax size that it woudl be unlikely for the aftermarket to produce something so close to stock size. Although I guess BD is close. Are there some common chargers used on Dodges or Fords that are right at 2.5"?
no you CAN NOT put a reducer on the turbo to make the specs. they did make that obvious and yes i am thinking there are many variables to aftermarket turbos.. such as machining and stuff to get a aftermarket charger to meet specs... yes you are right the 2.5 is very close to the stock duramax turbo... i am wondering the same thing about this rule... i dont know why they made it 2.5 other than thats what enterprise engines rules are and they are kind of going off of them.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 62mm inducer wheel.

Smokeshow, if you haven't seen the map, not all 62mm wheels are created equal. Let me know if you want a copy. Inducer wheel diameter is only a rough sign on how much the turbo will flow. There are so many more factors like vane length, hub size, wheel height,etc.... that effect it.

I'm rather surprised they let you necked down, as it is pretty close to cheating. ;)
do you have the spec on the inducer size ???????

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you go to www.truckpulls.com and go to central ohio pulls and look at the street stock diesel class those are the rules im going by

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
To whom that posted about being surprised on letting them neck down a turbo, you got me. Doesn't seem right but they did it. I'm not sure but I THINK the rules have changed for this coming season to where they can not do that.

I am aware that not all turbos of the same size are created equal. I was more referencing the notion or reasoning for making the limit so close to a stock DMax.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not how big the wheel is... i guess what the size of the intake housing right infront of the wheel??? isnt that were they put the plug in to tech them???

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright sorry. thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
one more quick question about the turbo kit...does it come with a air intake and filter or do i use my current setup which is a aem brute force air intake???

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You can use any intake you like, but you will have to trim a little off either the BD intake adapter, or your intake tube itself. I trimmed about 2" off the end of my AFE tube and it fits perfect.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
62mm should be 2.5" legal then, right?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
62mm = 2 and 7/16 inches, so it sounds legal to me.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
62mm should be 2.5" legal then, right?
yeah i am still sweatin about this kit... hopefully theirs not much difference between the wheel and the housing... its gonna suck if you buy it then cant run in the stock class

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
You need to contact the rule board right now.

The BD is 2.587 (65.71mm) intake inducer, and 2.826 (71.78mm) exhaust exducer.

See if they can bump it to 66mm and 72mm to allow Dmaxes to compete.

I measured a stock charger before, but I don't have the #'s handy. Not sure if a 2.5" will allow the stock charger to be legal.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need to contact the rule board right now.

The BD is 2.587 (65.71mm) intake inducer, quote]

:mad: that F%*^in sucks....man i was hoping sooo bad for 62mm but that just didnt sound right... i think the stocker is around 2.4" something
all and they WILL NOT change any rules like that.. its already set in stone

thanks Mcrat

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.