Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it alright to replace one new battery at a time? One is still good---other one leaked out of positive post.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I have always read/heard to replace both at the same time...Im not 100% positive tho (no pun intended :D )

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Ive heard and read the same thing as well. I would say if you wanted to replace them at different times, saying like one paycheck and the other on another paycheck it wouldnt hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
you can but every body replaces both only one will give problems a littie later
I was assuming money was the issue for not buying both. Would it hurt if you bought them say 2 weeks apart?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost all of our heavy equipment has several batteries each. We only replace the bad ones. The other OEM battery checks out ok with our load tester. Just wandered if it was really mandetory to relace both or is it one of those warm & fuzzy feeling thingys? It really cranks faster with the new Duralast Gold battery. Probably will go with another new battery so I won't be worried about it!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Due to battery companies changing the CCA rates from year to year it could be hard to match an old battery to a new one unless the battery is fairly new. I was always told to keep the battery CCA the same. If they vary much you could over charge a lower rated battery in order to get the higher rated battery to be fully charged. Most of the time the "good" battery will croak soon after the first one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
shouldn't hurt...

In a parralell battery system,just replacing one shouldn't hurt.But,as suggested,keep the batterys the same size and idealy the same brand.This keeps the charge rates the same.Never mix battery 'types'.ie:never try to match a flooded lead-acid with an agm for example.The charge rates are so dissimilar that one will quikly fry.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had a battery replaced well out of warranty because of it leaking acid from the positive terminal. There is a class action law suit against Delco for this issue. I took it to my stealer and said "I see acid leaking from the + terminal. I think there is some kind of class action law suit on this, however I wanted to give you the chance to fix this b4 I hop on that bandwagon." I found out about this lawsuit on yahoo.

I drove away 30 mins later w/ a free battery...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
In my heavy equipment such as dump trucks, track loaders, etc I usually just replace what is needed. I do a load test on the battery and if it passes it stays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts