Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the factory batteries still in my truck...Recently, when starting the truck after it has sat for a while, say 12 hours or more, it does not turn over nearly as fast as it used to. The volt meter will read around 11-12v while my glow plugs are heating. After the engine starts, it takes 15-20 seconds for the reading to hit the 14+ volt range. About a week ago, it would not start at all and I had to jump it.
I haven't yet had the batteries load tested, but will soon. Two years doesn't seem like very long for the batteries to last.

If I need new batteries, what is a good quality brand to use?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
540 Posts
Eric, sorry to jump in here but

Fireman

The 15-20 seconds at less than 12 volts is normal on DMAX start. There are glowplugs, and other heaters running.

I'd suggest making sure the batteries are fully charged before blaming them being bad. I'd put a charger on them at leas overnight and get them to full charge before you go have them load tested. Driving doesn't always get batteries back up to full charge quickly.

As for them being dead, could also be a load, dark current problem. Did something stay on overnight by mistake?? Do you do lots of short drives and have a lot of extra load on the system?? Big stereo etc??

Always start with the simple and easy, charge the batteries!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FirstDiesel,

Thanks for the reply, No big loads...Nothing that hasn't been there for quite a while anyway. Most of my driving is between 5-25 miles, city-hwy combination. All terminals and such appear to be in good shape, however, after reading several postsregarding leaking batteries, I'm going to check mine carefully tomorrow.

What kinda concerns me is the "dragging" when starting. Sometimes I feel like it may not start before the battery runs down. I guess a load and alt test will point out any problem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Again

You just said you do lots of short driving. With a high starter load and then not much driving, and in the city at that, you are not likely getting the batteries to full charge.

Before you worry about load tests and replacing etc, charge them fully.Edited by: FirstDiesel

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll put them on charge tonight, I won't need to drive it 'til tomorrow P.M.

I'll let you know how it does.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Once the batteries are fully charged, have them tested. The Optima batteries are a good choice for replacement but do seem a bit costly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts