Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, that was me who made the comment about the Optimas as I was under the impression that the warranty on batteries is only 1 year.

Anyway, I decided to look over my truck last night and low and behold, the DS battery appears to be leaking (original Delco). I checked the PS one and it appears to be OK. Do I just have a bad battery case, or could some charging system problem cause a problem with only one battery while leaving the other alone???

I really hate having a corroded battery tray on a 10,000 mile truck

Later...

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
JP, the a/c delco batteries are known to leak from the battery posts. We replace many batteries with leaking acid/rotted posts. I would get it in and have them replace the leaking battery and test the ps battery. If they tray shows signs of acid damage, politely ask them to take care of it.

Eric

ps. They will replace it with an a/c delco battery and who is too say that it wont happen again!? Optima's?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello all

My feed back on this.. We do run a fleet of duramax's now and none of them have delco now.. 2 hours after we get our trucks there out and in goes a yellow tops Optima's

From steve
Fleet

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question:

Why the yellow top instead of the red ones? Aren't yellow tops a 'deep' cycler???

Later

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
waht the going rate for the yellow tops?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have found that if you let a red top Optima completely discharge they usually don't come back to life. The yellow tops however are much more resilient to complete discharges. I now only buy the yellow top. I did have a red top in my 1990 4-runner with an 18 watt regulated solar panel on the roof last 8 years.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I also had a battery leak in my D/A last year. They replaced it and cleaned and painted the battery tray.

It's unfortunate to watch a company continue to manufacture and distribute an inferior product for years, probably based on cost studies. That was my third ACDelco battery do that in about 10 years. I will never buy another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts