Diesel Place banner

Battery Selection

1K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  timowen1 
#1 ·
I may need to buy two new batteries shortly. In the opinion of the forum, what is the best battery to buy here in Canada, or should I wait until we go south in 6 weeks time?

#2 ·
Come on guys, dosn't anyone have any opinions as to the best make and model of battery?

#5 ·
From what I've seen on Canadian prices wait until you come to the states.

#6 ·
I know I'll get flack for this, but I've had years of great luck with AC-Delco. Presently own 9 of them. No problems now — never in decades of that brand. Just don't torque the cable bolts to idiot tightness. These days, your money goes further in the states.

#15 ·
I know I'll get flack for this, but I've had years of great luck with AC-Delco. Presently own 9 of them. No problems now — never in decades of that brand. Just don't torque the cable bolts to idiot tightness. These days, your money goes further in the states.
I will not buy anything but AC Delco. (Well almost not buy anything but AC Delco). I have had nothing but good luck with them. I currently have a 7 year old battery in a 2001 Trans Am. I do not drive this car in the winter and it currently only has about 14,000 miles on it. I put a battery tender on it only in the winter. I recently replaced an AC Delco in my 1979 T/A that was 6 years old. In six years I have only driven this car 1,000 miles. I only keep a battery tender on it in the winter but have had to fully charge it once in a while. The Ac Delco in my wife's Tahoe is 5 years old and was just replaced this past summer. She was 550 miles from home on the road and it crapped out on her on a Saturday. The GM dealership parts dept. in Atlanta were closed, and I could not tell her where else to buy an AC Delco. She was near an Auto Zone and bought a Duralast Gold. I hear they are not too bad, I am curious to see how long this battery last.

#8 ·
Walmart lowered their price on the Optima red tops from 196 to 148 a couple of months ago. I see Costco with red tops once in a while...they were cheaper in Costco in the US (Idaho, when I was down there this summer).

Mopar also sells a spiral core battery (Power Pro 7)...have heard some good things about it...unfortunately, price around 180.

#10 ·
Well, I have wally world's tol batteries..7/06..so far, so good..:D

Have known guys that have had the AC Delco's in 04's that are still going strong.

#11 ·
Depends on where you buy batteries in the U.S.. I have just pruchased 2 Napa Legend batteries $73., they were not my first choice but will do. Research has shown me that in the southern U.S. the batteries are different than what is sold up north. Consumer Reports shows which brand battery will be the "best buy" for different parts of the country. It will show lets just say a "Die Hard" with one number for the Norther States and another battery number for the Southern States. Batteries last longer up north where the temps are cooler than the south with the heat.

#12 ·
I like Interstates in my trucks. Of course, In FL, you're doing great if you get more than 2 years out of one just about. I've used one of the Optima Gel batteries in one of our dump trailers, and had pretty good luck with it so far.

#13 ·
ac-delco, the first set lasted 4.5 years in the AZ heat so I got a second set, not a bad price either

#14 · (Edited)
The Delco battery in my new GMC Safari leaked shortly after I bought it in 2001, and the acid did a number on the paint in the engine compartment. When the new Delco battery in the Safari started to bulge I pitched it and got an Optima. One of the first things I did after taking delivery of my new LBZ was to replace the batteries with Optimas (Part # Red34/78) and I'm very happy with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.