Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 GMC Sierra and sometimes she's flaky when it comes to starting. Recently I ran my batteries completely dead by accident. So with winter here I want to replace them to prevent getting stuck somewhere.

I was always taught that with diesels buy two of the largest batteries you can fit in the space.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations as to which brand and size batteries to buy?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
1000 People -> 1000 different opinions !

Everyone will tell you what to do, but you have to decide by your own interests and money what to buy.

I would go with some gel batteries, also known as orbital batteries like Optima RedTop or Exide Maxxima 900. If you got a lot of electronics like amps, cb and so on, you should go with the same brands, but with YellowTop or Maxxima 900 DC, cause these are the deep cycle versions.

Only my 50 cents.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
574 Posts
My truck calls for two group 78 batteries with at least 770CCA. Thats not saying that you can't fit bigger ones under there, best bet is to take measurements of the battery holders. I need two new bateries also so I am going to go with two die hard batteries as i have looked up the reviews and I think they are the best bang for your buck. A few points to look for: top posts carry more current and are easier to clean (make sure they will not touch the hood when its dropped), high CCA's (not CA's or HCA's) and if looking at two equal rated batteries buy the heavier one (more lead=longer life).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Also,

"Vehicle" batteries are designed for high output in a short timespan, such as starting a motor. Deep cycles are used for slow rate long duration loads. Evaluate your needs and buy appropriatly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Use any of the agm batteries out there. No more cleaning cables. Also if you know an interstate battery guy you might could get some red top blems. I got 2 from him about a week a go. Didn't need them but for $50 :D a piece I'll save them and put a trickle charger on them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had 2 980 cca die hards $119 each at sears and my truck cranked like crazy..some ******* stole both batteries while at work..i now have 2 red top optimas it cranks but not like it did with the die hards

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just replaced two Die Hard gold series. 1000 CCA. I replaced them because of their age (7 years). They were working OK when removed and I never had a bit of trouble with them. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just put in 2 875CCA eliminator batteries.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Have had Optimas on my last 4 trucks. Replaced my OEMs with Optimas last summer and have had zero problems. Plenty of power, plenty of reserve and consistency in 120 degrees (AZ) down to -30 degrees (WI).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have two new Interstate Optima Red-Top Gell Cell batteries (see my signature info) and really like the performance. They have a lot of cranking power & really spins the engine great. They come with both top-post and side-post arrangement, leaving it up to the buyer which to use.:)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The higher the CCA (cold cranking amps) the closer the plates are within the cells. This means greater the chance of shorting cell plate to plate than lower CCA batteries. So, there are pro's and con's to going "bigger is better."

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your going "biggest", remember not to just measure the holder. On mine there is a metal plate about 1/4" behind the +terminal. Any bigger and I think it would cause some probs. Not sure on your 98 GMC Sierra though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
AC Delco

·
Registered
953 Posts
I replaced batteries on both the Tahoe and the 'Burb at the same time - the guy at the Costco was asking "Are you sure you need that many?". They have been excellent batteries and I have not had any problems in over 2 years. At the time, they were the best price/performance I could find.

Sincerely,

Rob :)

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,193 Posts
I have had better luck with Autozone's Duralast Gold. It has close to 1000 CCA. Only around $75 each. I did not have too much luck with DieHard, of course that was for my sedans.

·
Registered
783 Posts
OMG, Duralast is the last thing I'd put in my truck. Well, except maybe for a Walmart special. Back when I was a poor kid with a lot of junkers I was always needing a battery. I always bought the $29.95 Neverstart from Walmart or the Duralast from Autozone. And I always had problems, because they are cheap recycled junk. Maybe the highest upgrade most expensive one they make isn't recycled, but the cheapo ones are. I finally smartened up and started buying big Diehard Golds, always loved them and the problems stopped. This truck came with two brand new no-name parts store batteries, lasted about two years, not too good for new matched big batteries. Replaced them with new matched AC Delcos, which I was told were the absolute best, got two years and replaced them under warranty once. Turned them in and bought Diehard SUV 990 cca at Sears, they are awesome, I have the utmost confidence in them and I am done trying any other battery, including AC Delco.
I was told by a mechanic that the Optimas are dry cell, which is better for the long drain down time, but if you totally kill it you will not be able to save it like you can a regular battery. Don't know if it was true, but he seemed certain. I know the people who have them love them, but I'm not sold on them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had an 88 burb and I put a optima red top in it and it lasted for 11 years. I know this for sure because I took it to the distributor (not a dealer) and he checked the dated stamp code. Eleven years makes it a cheap battery.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Confused yet?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Simple Question

Who has the highest CCA battery in a Group 78? I don't want to have to search everybody, call me lazy. For me, the highest CCA is the most important thing, not the name on the side.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts