Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the frosting on the cake thickens. After 4 months of ownership I'm still trying to get all the loose noises from the front end of this truck straightened out and this happens.
Today, leaving work I got into the truck after remote starting it and there on the dashboard is a "Battery Not Charging" warning...? I look at the guage and it's bouncing back and forth above the 14, not by much but it's bouncing. Well, I drove home and put it in park and notice this high pitch very faint whistling I've never heard before. If I rev the engine up it goes away. Almost sounds like radio noise from a bad set of wires on my old camaro. Very faint but yet another aggravating sound coming from this work in progress....:mad:

Any ideas what it could be? Maybe an alternator going bad? I've got the dual setup...

Not one week since I've owned this truck have I just been able to drive and enjoy without thinking about when the next appointment for the dealer is...:damnit1:

·
Registered
741 Posts
11,444 miles on mine and noticed the same thing yesterday as I hopped in to go home after work. The needle swayed back and fourth between 12v and 15v and eventually after a few min. it hung around 14v but I've never noticed this before and concerned me a bit. I have 1 more free oil change left at the dealership so I will bring it up this weekend if I can get over there.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
OK, Just a thought...How cold is it out side? If the glow plugs and grid heater are working it will move the volt gauge all over. Tht remote start could also cause some issues with the guages, IIRC mine had a warning it might set codes on some newer vehicles..

·
Registered
741 Posts
blizzardplowman;1598172; said:
OK, Just a thought...How cold is it out side? If the glow plugs and grid heater are working it will move the volt gauge all over. Tht remote start could also cause some issues with the guages, IIRC mine had a warning it might set codes on some newer vehicles..
Ya, I didnt think of the glow plugs.
That very well could be why, but I never noticed it do that before...
It was 70* today, at the time, the truck wasn't really cold but I guess the glow plugs come on anyway..

I'll have the dealer take a look at the charging system just for ****s a giggles.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blizzardplowman;1598172; said:
It's been mid 30's here. I've never noticed when I've remote started it when it's been 18... Also, the constant high pitch, low volume humm is new. It goes up and down as I rev the motor lightly... Not real bad and you'd have to listen for it but once you hear it it's difficult to stop hearing it.
I don't think it's the remote start but I will not rule it out.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is this "humm" or moan noise common with the dual alternators? My 07 has dual alternators and has a noise like that. I noticed it at around 200 miles on the OD.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I also get the "battery not charging" message for about 5 seconds after I start the truck manually. ALSO, when I remote start, the message is not displayed untill I put the key in and turn to the on position and tap the brakes.
Goes away after 5 seconds. Volt gauge doesn't bounce!

Has done this for about 8 months now. Only does it about once every 100 starts. Very strange.

Checked all battery cables and terminals, alternator wires, etc. everything seems fine.

Anybody know whats going on?

mike

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mine is worse. In the middle of the winter my lights flash for the first few mins while the truck warms up! Guage bounces up and down a little too. I have dual alternators so I would hope I have enough power for the glow plugs and grid heater. Anyone got a clue on that one?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Mine did it around 6k last year in July, gauge bounced around a little every now and again through out the day and then crapped out. Drove it for three days on the holiday weekend until dealers was open for repair. I did all the testing myself and found it was the Alt. as i suspected. Dealer tried to tell me that these normally discharge and read below 12 volts, i told the service advisor he was full of it and ordered the Alt. myself to be sure they had one when the truck went in for repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts