Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is battery load testing a sure way to tell whether or not the batteries in my burb are in need of replacing?

It seems that when it's 32F or colder, my truck is really hard to start because it turns over so slowly. But if it's plugged in, it starts very well. My theory is that the extended glow time needed when it's not plugged in puts more of a load on my batteries, and the voltage doesn't come back up quickly enough between glowing and cranking to turn the motor over fast enough.

I just put in all new 2/0 battery cables. However, this problem existed prior to that.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nothing is absolute :
Even the hydrometer test can be wrong.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
How old are they?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think your theory is right on.

You may have one weak battery dragging the other one down. Disconnect them and load test them seperatly. If they turn out ok, then move on to the starter.

I bet your problem is that a battery is shot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure Born Ready is right, I had the same problem when temp got below -20 celsius, one battery dragged the other down.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many amps do the glows pull?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How many amps do the glows pull?
I'm trying to remember.......its a lot though. 8-10 per plug IIRC?

Not sure ......if thats right.....It will surprise you though...............

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I use a load cell to test mine better/easier IMO than hydrometer; which is basically a heating iron element you glow that will give a active indication of ability to recover from heavy draw, Load cells aren't too expensive, 20-50 bucks depending on bells/whistles, a necessary tool for me to have so I can check health of the battery bank at my solar powered hunting camp.

I sort of recall an answer to a question in a extended glow thread that glow load was 60-70 amps, search for one of those threads looking for extended glow realays, ot solenoids

·
Registered
30 Posts
go with that load test. each battery seperate of course. and i can confirm that a bad battery does tend to draw off the other and its especially felt under a strain like a start on a cold morning...

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Make sure both batteries are fully charged. pull cables and test one at a time. Do Not use one good and one not so good battery like a lot of people do. Over nite the weak one will draw the good battery down. Next day you'll be charging two batteries and loading your alternator and wasting gas doing it.
Whats the abbreviation of pound? lb ?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was in fact a bad battery. One battery put out 250 amps before the voltage dropped to about 9.5. The other battery could only produce 50~60 amps at that voltage.

Two new AC Delcos are on order. The one good old battery will be put in my boat.

I like easy fixes. With the history of electrical gremlins and starting issues with these trucks, I was pretty worried.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Also, take a look at these batteries...they are awesome. I run them in the Towns fleet of police cars and I havent had one failure in over a year. They perform better than the Optima red tops IMO. They are also about half the price of a red top. I run them in my truck. The Deka Intimidators are what I am talking about. however, there certainly isnt anything wrong with the AC Delco's. Just a thought.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/index.html

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/pdfs/1143.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts