Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 new batteries and 2 new negative battery cables today and installed them on my diesel Suburban. When I tried to start the engine, It barely cranked over, then I noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment at the right battery. Quickly disconnected the battery and noticed that all the wire insulation from the small auxiliary wire on the new battery cable was melted off. I figured out that the new battery cables were not completing the ground circuit, on both batteries, and that the only thing that was grounding was the small wire that was melted. Since both batteries were completing their ground circuit through just that single 10 gauge wire, the wire was overloaded and caused the melting of the insulation and almost started a fire. I checked the new cables, and there was no continuity between the 2 ends.

It turns out that the cable insulation was never cut back before the stud terminal was crimped on the cable. This was the same on both cables. Later I looked at the store, and it seems like all the cables had the same defect. Be careful if you are buying these cables. Check the ends to make sure they are properly made. It might save you a bunch of time and damage to your vehicle. Luckily, my Suburban doesn't have any computers or sensative electronics that could have been fryed, and lucky that I saw what was happening before a fire started.

I bough the cables from Wal-Mart and they are EverStart Lead Free Battery Cables part numbers LF25-4L and LF32-4L, but check out the other sizes as well before installing.

I should have known better then to buy battery cables made in China!!!

Notice in the photo the bare wire that melted.

Attachments

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Yea that is why I make all my battery cables.
I have a thing about soldering all my high amp connections.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, your right. They are very cheap looking cables. I am out in the country where there isn't much available, and I don't even use the suburban anymore. I just start the engine every now and then to keep things working. I would not have used these on any of my drivers. I just think it is ridiculous that a large retailer can not have better quality control over its products. This could be dangerous.

· Bac To The Future
18,690 Posts
and now you know why Walmart has such great prices. Sorry you got ripped off.

Maybe its worth the drive to the nearest reputable auto parts store?

· Registered
880 Posts
You might want to let Walmart corporate know, potential for fire & injury will probably get there attention. Who knows maybe they will reward you for pointing it out.

· Registered
1,208 Posts
if you can get your hands on some welding cable and connectors they make the best cables, able to carry any amount of juice you would ever need

· Registered
67 Posts
You failed to complete the burn-in period necessary to complete the installation :joke:

· Registered
670 Posts
deffinitly let wallyworld know of the defect. thats just bogus but you know machines get miss set all the time. When I was working as a welder at a shipyard I had a guy miss-set a subarc and burn right threw a 3" deckplate. WHOOPS, and he had been runnin the machine for many many years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.