Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed my chance to get a set of upgraded battery cables for my 6.5L.

PT Wiring Solutions does not sell them anymore.

Are there any other options other than making them myself?

Would like a set of 2/0AWG cables.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Per Quadstar's facebook page he is going to become a direct supplier for Quadstar only. You can still get his products through Quadstar.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I will suggest to fabricobble your own together, you litterally just put them side-by-side and solder/crimp to fit. And throw some heatshrink tube on to the ends to make it look like it was done by a professional.

Stock cable sizes are 35mm, I upgraded to 50mm with 10mm ring terminals when I ditched the stupid sidepost batteries and bought normal ones instead. Yes, they fit under the hood just fine.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Reactions: JMJNet and OkDually

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can't say enough about the battery cable upgrade. I made my own with 1/0 because that was the biggest I could find in town. Spent like $150 on all materials. With upgraded cables and a new starter I've never seen it start this fast. When it's warm I don't even use any glow plug and can practically just bump the key and it fires right up. (I have manual glow plug switch) Get some!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just about any heavy truck or equipment shop should be able to make you custom battery cables. My local NAPA had a set made for me before I started making my own. There is nothing wrong with side post. The correct stackable ends make great connection. (20) DIY: - Making New Battery Cables for a 93- 6.5 | Diesel Place

Hi Bk95td. I’ve read your thread a few times and I like the way you built your cables.

Would you happen to have a spare set lying around that you would like to sell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I do make my own battery cables; a few questions:

1. Can I stack regular copper 2/0 lugs? (I can't find the stackable ones in Canada)
2. If I can stack, do I need the copper star in-between the lugs?
3. Any issue with making all the cables 2/0AWG? (including the cable that goes to the starter, and the cable that goes to the body)

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
LOL. I don't have a set of pre-maid cables laying around. I only make for my own equipment.
All terminals are not created equal. The ones they sometimes call "starter lug" seem to have a larger contact area. Large truck and heavy equipment dealers and shops may have or know of a source for battery cable ends.
A bonus I gained with the cast copper-tin plated cable ends is that I have no corrosion even after 2 years or more. I made all my grounds out of 2-0. I made separate engine to frame and engine to body cables. I've also gone to a 6GA charging wire from the alt to battery.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Can't say enough about the battery cable upgrade. I made my own with 1/0 because that was the biggest I could find in town. Spent like $150 on all materials. With upgraded cables and a new starter I've never seen it start this fast. When it's warm I don't even use any glow plug and can practically just bump the key and it fires right up. (I have manual glow plug switch) Get some!
I've to second this, I have never heard my engine turn over faster than before. I let the GP do it's thing for like 3 seconds and it starts instantly. (10c*)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts