Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an 8 month old battery spew acid / gas like crazy in a short time - passenger side - messing up the inner fender, tray and hood spring. I'm betting it's from the water runoff of the windshield cowling running into the top of the battery and screwing up the chemistry.

So my proposed fix is to cut 2 battery boxes down to only about 3 inches in height. Set the battery in one 3 inch tall box and place the other 3 inch tall box over top of the battery. Strap it all down. This should protect the top from water intrusion and catch any acid that does leak in the box the battery is now sitting in.

Thoughts?

I also thought of adding some water to the battery box the battery is sitting in for cooling in the Vegas heat of the summer. It'd only be up the side of the battery like 2 inches.

Thoughts?

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
I have seen a few modifications, plastic cover over the battery, installing a passenger brace from a gas truck to keep the water from running on it, install some fender vents to release air from that corner. Me, I just knuckled under after pricing battery cables and reading about how the water drains on them and installed AGM batteries.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/82-exterior/414382-fender-vents.html

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/81-electrical/774361-battery-filling-rain.html

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
About 6 years ago when I changed out the original batteries (which were sealed on the top), I bought a battery holder at Walmart. The bottom sits in a junk pile somewhere. I sealed up the little vent holes in the battery cover, cut out some of the sides because of the side terminals, and run a strap about the battery to hold the cover in place. The original strap that came with the battery box rotted a few years ago and I just found a cinch strap laying around. It might be getting time to replace it again.

Oh, and absolutely no problems with the passenger side battery (from Costco), although it's probably 6 years old now. I'll probably change it out before the next big trip with the camper.

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I stopped buying wet cell lead acid batteries, all of my acid spillage problems disappeared, instantly.

I surely do not miss all the hours spent neutralizing acid, removing factory battery trays, wire brushing them down to bare metal, priming them, painting them, cleaning up the remainder of the engine compartment and collateral damage from battery acid corrosion... only to do it all over again in two years. Nope, don't miss any of that one bit.

Pay up front for AGM, or pay later with more paint, aggravation, and the most costly never to be recovered payment... the waste of time. I'd rather pay up front and never have to clean up after a battery acid spill again. It's wonderful! The higher ampacity and longer reserve time of AGM batteries is just added icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Battery box mod

I have been using I think it is rubber inner tube over the battery to deflect that water over the battery. The ones who worked on the truck didn't put it back right so I had to put it incorrectly. It is long enough to go down the firewall and be wrapped down between it and the conservator tank.:clap:

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Happy Gobbles day, btw!

I'm just waiting on my boxes to arrive. I really didn't know where to get a rubber sheet from and I want to sit the batteries in a box for any possible acid runoff to be captured before it can get to the trays and other parts of the truck. I've been looking at most brands of flooded batteries out there in the market and it seems most have these recessed vent caps. Perfect for allowing water to get in the cells.

Even if I wanted AGMs (which I don't at their high price) I'm stuck with these until the warranty runs out in like 85 months.

·
Registered
292 Posts
MP06011999... Please post pics of your completed battery box project.

When I imagine doing it, I foresee tons of fabrication, so that the hood will close and so that battery will be retained. The stock battery retention block will be "blocked" by the box, so are you planning on drilling holes through the bottom of the box as well as the factory battery tray to bolt the box to the tray, and than somehow strap the battery to the box?

There is a metal tab that sticks out over the battery that attaches to the cowl. It is used to attach the fender brace for trucks that do not have a battery on the passenger side. That tab will likely interfere with the lid of the battery box, so there might be some cutting involved there too.

On the forward end of the passenger side battery, there is less clearance to the hood, since the hood slopes downward toward the grille. The inner panel of the hood already comes fairly close to the forward edge of the battery when the battery is installed at the level of the battery tray. Now with the box on top of the battery tray, the battery will be elevated by the thickness of the bottom of the new box. If that box has some type of corrugated floor that leaves channels/wells for spillage, the height the battery will be raised will be much greater than the material thickness of the box.

The may present a hood closure interference at the forward end of the battery. And on dual terminal batteries, the top post of at the rearward end could collide with the metal tab on the cowl. Then you still have to fit the lid on top, which was what motivated the battery box purchase in the first place.

I just see some very challenging fitment issues ahead, and I can't think of an easy solution. Not that you asked me too! But I'm asking you to share some pictures with what you end up doing, because I'm sure your success will help me think outside of the battery "box"!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Battery cover

I used about thickness 1/32" rubber very soft/flexible tucked it down the firewall and over the battery the sides were ??? 3" to 4" over hang to deflect water off of the battery. I did have enough overhang on the engine side to cover the electrical plug for the battery warmer. Something wider then baler belting would be good as well, maybe too thick ?? Is there rubber gasket material? 2 feet by 18" or something like that would be good.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post pics when done. Boxes won't be here until Monday. 4 boxes in all at less than $5 each on clearance. Box lids will NOT be used as they are too tall.

The boxes are not thick or reinforced so it's just thin plastic that won't add much height at all and no top posts on these batteries to worry about. Just gonna cut one box down and lay it upside-down over top the battery - cutting out for the side terminals. The battery will also be sitting IN another cut down box. Strap the hole thing down (4 straps are included with the 4 boxes) and either wrap the strap around the tray or bolt it to the tray if feeding it around the tray proves more difficult. No holes drilled in the bottom box as I need that to hold any liquid.

Only problem I foresee is getting the cutdown boxes that the batteries will sit in down into their very tight areas. But, they will be cut down and should be flexible enough. We'll see. And I may lay a couple pieces of fuel hose on top between the batteries and covers to provide a little more of a ventilation gap.

It all sounds simple enough. What could possibly go wrong. lol

Somewhere on here is a pic of a guy that did the upside down box on top, but he didn't put the battery itself in a box. Only real change I'm adding to his idea. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The theory some of have gone by is that the boiling over and acid spillage is (most commonly) only because of water draining onto the top of the battery. For some of us, simply covering the top of the passenger side battery has worked for many years (6 for me so far).

While less common, of course a battery can boil over for other reasons . . . or just crack and leak. I guess once you've lived the nightmare you're going to try to prevent it from happening again. Yes, we will want to see pictures!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have some contractor grade trash bags that I got from one of the big box stores. I cut one down so it covers the top of the battery and then tucks down into the insulator on the sides of the battery. So far so good. Very inexpensive to do and easy to replace if needed.

I check it every time I fuel up and the cover has not moved once. There is a nice amount of dust and dirt on top of it showing the water path across the top of the battery. I just used that option as I was in a hurry after new batteries were put in and did not want to have the one there at the right getting over filled.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We've all heard of anything being fixed with bailing wire and duct tape... but when a $45K+ truck can be fixed with a trash bag, I think that hits a new low in vehicle engineering.

Congrats on finding such a cleverly cheap and easy to deploy fix.

Air the battery blanket out once in a while. They like to rot.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that didn't go well. There just is not enough room.

While not exactly what I wanted, I did get the passenger battery in a box and covered both batteries with some heavy rubber I found in the garage. There is only enough room to EITHER have a box on bottom or top, NOT BOTH and no room for a box on top of the driver side.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As you see here, a guy that put a box OVER his battery. Luckily I found the rubber to cover mine. I also had to bolt thru the box and then silicone the holes because I wanted it acid tight. A pain to secure it all after too. While I accomplished my goal 75%, it was too much a PITD and I do not recommend it unless you have two 1/2 days to waste and wanna use nearly every tool you own. lol

Just not enough room. Thanks Obama... Uh I mean "GM" ;-)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts