Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANYONE KNOW THE REMEDY TO INTERMITTANT BOIL OVER OF THE PASSENGER SIDE BATTERY,PROBLEM COMES BACK EVEN WHEN BATTERY IS REPLACED,GETS ALITTLE CLOUDY IN THE CAB WHEN SOME IDIOT DESIGNED THE AIR INTAKE NEXT TO THE HYDROGEN GAS GENERATOR.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Has anyone checked the voltage output ?? Shouldn't be much more then 14.3 (?) at peak warm idle ..... Just a thought ....

Mac

·
Registered
540 Posts
Before I'd replace the battery I'd be checking why the unit was boiling. Voltage is the likely cause and forget beleiving the idiot gauge on your dash. Get out a digital multi meter and measue the voltage at idle and at RPM's with and without load on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sure sounds like a malfunctioning voltage regulator to me.
My '89 Dodge 350 CTD did this and I can remember driving home with all windows down on a cold night trip choking on fumes! No fun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a guy with a Dodge tell me his battery exploded. I wonder if that was related to his voltage regulator?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Cruz_Man said:
I had a guy with a Dodge tell me his battery exploded. I wonder if that was related to his voltage regulator?

Could very well be ... I've seen a few bulging batteries do to over charging .... One thing is the GM alternator has a built in voltage regulator if anyone wasn't aware ....

Mac

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since the voltage regulator is built into the alternator... It sounds like a new alternator is in order.

And watch those nose hairs if you're smoking.... You may be in for a surprise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What milage are you guys seeing these battery leakage problems. From what I have read on here it seems likely to happen it is just a matter of when. Have priced the Optima's and just can't swing them with Christmas wrapping paper still sitting in the garbage can. Still low milage but don't want to press my luck. One of the reasons I sold an 01 Dodge/Cummins is because they couldn't keep batteries in it. At one point I had battery acid all over both fenders, sprayed all inside the engine compartment, etc... What a mess. Paint job was history. Don't want to go through that again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ONE MORE NOTE--------ONLY PASSENGER SIDE BATTERY HAS THIS PROBLEM,DRIVER SIDE STILL STOCK VOLTAGE CHECKS OUT AT 14.0

·
Registered
183 Posts
leakyinjector said:
ONE MORE NOTE--------ONLY PASSENGER SIDE BATTERY HAS THIS PROBLEM,DRIVER SIDE STILL STOCK VOLTAGE CHECKS OUT AT 14.0

Do you mean exactly 14 when charging, or after you shut it off.What did the other battery say when charging and 10 mins after shut off?Just curious

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IVE NEVER SEEN A BATTERY AT 14 VOLTS WHEN OFF ,BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION,14 VOLTS AT IDLE,SHOWS ME THE REGULATOR IS CHARGING

·
Registered
183 Posts
That,s what I thought,mine is never less than 14.5 ish with everything on 14.8 with all accs off while running.Only time I can get less than that is when I lift that 1000 lb plow
. When you first shut your truck off you get a high voltage reading for the first few mins due to the high voltage input from the alt.That is why I asked about the voltage was thinking it was charging way too high and that was maybe your problem.By the way is this with a digital meter or the guage that you are saying 14 volts?

·
Registered
448 Posts
FWIW my passenger batt started leaking at about 72,000 miles, but I've heard of others leaking much sooner. I think the ECM is in the battery charging loop as well. Something seems to be smart enough to turn the voltage up in cold weather and down in hot weather. In hot weather I run about 14 to 14.2, in cold weather it's about 14.5. Multimeter not gauge. Cold weather in lower AL. is different than real cold weather

I had trouble with My passenger batt. as well. My advice is replace the Delco batts as soon as you can or you'll be like me. Rust where paint should be on my battery tray.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
patrick said:
voltage problem. take it to the dealer is it under warranty.if not check the alternator

all dealer says is, replace both batterys.down the line problem comes back, once again only on the passenger side battery { one of two}

im starting to wonder if i need a additional ground wire on that battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts