Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running for batteries.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have Die Hard Platinums that I installed in September of 2011, so 8.5 years and 140,000 miles ago. They still seem good. I'm not sure if these batteries are still available for sale though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Costco, which are now good ol' fashion Interstates. BUT, with any battery that has vents or fill caps on the top, you need to put a cover over the passenger side battery so water doesn't run down off the cowl onto (and into) it. I used the top from a battery box top/bottom from Walmart. The battery cover might need a few cutouts for the side terminals, a strap to hold it on, and something to fill in any vent holes in the cover.

Definitely true for the LLYs and probably true for a few other years.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
2001 Chevy Suburban LBZ 4x4
36 Posts
Ever start Maxx and return it for a free exchange after 3 years to walmart no questions asked.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If you have had good luck with a certain brand battery during you life that’s what I would buy. Just like truck brand loyal. It’s hard to switch.

I like this question on here “My ACDelco’s Batteries lasted 9 year what should I get”

I like Maintenance Free batteries of choice. The last ACDelco’s weren’t Maintenance Free and they kept boiling out and making a mess.

·
Diesel Dan
136 Posts
Northstar Battery, used to have Interstate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it’s got interstate in right now. Bought the truck used and they said they where replaced a year ago. Had to let the charger stay on all night to get the truck started. But I also just put in pioneer aftermarket double din deck. Maybe look at oddesey batteries or something equal. Something with good cold cranking amps/deep cycle for the extra draw.

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,398 Posts
Deka batteries here...

·
Premium Member
17,863 Posts
Deka batteries here. Manufactured by East Penn.
Same plant as Caterpillar batteries. Same plant as most Napa batteries.
They are the only ones that will NOT leach acid around the lead connections. And my average service life on them is around 6 years. I've had some go 9 years.
If it's for your LLY, I run these

Attachments

Reactions: Randy_the_Hack

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
red top optima been in since 10/10

·
Registered
297 Posts
Interstate Batteries here. Never had an issue

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cheapest ones I can find at my local wholesaler.
No problems starting it at our recent -35C weather we just had.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
original AC Delcos lasted 8 years could only find replacements at dealer for double the price of Napa premium. Napa lived about 3 years. currently have Auto Club (interstate) 3.5 years.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Costco here. Just had to replace them after about 42 months for $50. No complaints here.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here in the Arizona desert battery's never last more than 2 or 3 years period. I just keep replacing them at Costco when they die . They always die in the warrantee period and they replace them free.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Here in the Arizona desert battery's never last more than 2 or 3 years period. I just keep replacing them at Costco when they die . They always die in the warrantee period and they replace them free.
Same here in Vegas with the 2.5 years of life. Heat kills 'em. May get longer if you can garage the truck, but my LBZ doesn't fit. Just replaced mine last month with Walmart Maxx. I've had Deka (CAT), Bosch Premium and now these Walmart Maxx. The original AC Delco batteries made it like 5 years, but the truck was in covered parking and often in SoCal. Plus the original AC Delcos were much better back then, imho.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,398 Posts
Deka. Some of the best batteries I've ever found... been using them now for years. I've discovered this: AAA exclusively uses Deka batteries. Had to replace my batteries 2 weeks ago; with our Premiere AAA membership, one was free, the other was $169. AAA will only replace one battery per year under their Premiere membership... but so far, they've replaced 2 batteries in consecutive years; more than enough to pay for the membership (since Sprint pays for basic membership).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Red tops for about 8 years

1 - 19 of 19 Posts