Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was out of town caring for my Dad and truck sat outside for 5 days untouched. Came back home and hopped in to run an errand and batteries dead.
Deka's were new in 2011 and no issues prior to then.
Put on the charger and it read 8.9 volts and 58%. Left on for about 3 hours and it was fully charged. Alternator replaced a few months ago. Bearing was whining and otherwise still charging but on it way out.
That was yesterday. Drove truck for a couple of hours total yesterday. Truck cranked and ran fine this am. Alternator running 14.4-14.5 with no drops.
Time for new batteries? I would have thought I would get more than 5 years out of them driving it daily for the most part?
What is best battery now?

·
Administrator
15,976 Posts
Was out of town caring for my Dad and truck sat outside for 5 days untouched. Came back home and hopped in to run an errand and batteries dead.
Deca's were new in 2011 and no issues prior to then.
Put on the charger and it read 8.9 volts and 58%. Left on for about 3 hours and it was fully charged. Alternator replaced a few months ago. Bearing was whining and otherwise still charging but on it way out.
That was yesterday. Drove truck for a couple of hours total yesterday. Truck cranked and ran fine this am. Alternator running 14.4-14.5 with no drops.
Time for new batteries? I would have thought I would get more than 5 years out of them driving it daily for the most part?
Yes, unfortunately I would say time for new batteries..
Average life of batteries is only about 5 years.. Some last longer but most will not.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Next question that I should have asked in OP is which batteries to get?
Edited original post...:)

·
Administrator
15,976 Posts
Thanks! Next question that I should have asked in OP is which batteries to get?
Edited original post...:)
I've used Interstate brand with good results.
The Optima Brand is over rated IMO..

I've also used the O'reilly's Super Start brand with good results as well..

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I believe that generally, batteries average around 5 years life, but you might want to check out the truck and see if you have any parasitic draw after it's shut off for a few minutes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Napa Gold Batteries are made by East Penn. I picked up a couple of them. 2 year free replacement and 5 year prorated warranty replacement after that.
All is well!

Reactions: sfcjones and Tom S.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got Napa aka East Penn batteries in my truck too. My OEM batteries lasted only 3 years...
I got 6 years out of my OEM batteries. I might have gotten longer if it were driven more at the time. It sat for nearly a year in the garage in Michigan. I cranked it every week or so and let it run but didn't drive it during the winter months as I had it tucked into a 2 car garage with my wife's Tahoe.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have the advantage that my truck is our third vehicle and as such it will sit much of the winter months. I put a battery tender on the truck when it is going to sit for a while. I’ve been doing this for a few years and it helps the batteries I believe. The cost of running the tender is offset by the batteries lasting longer

Reactions: SAYWHAT

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the advantage that my truck is our third vehicle and as such it will sit much of the winter months. I put a battery tender on the truck when it is going to sit for a while. I’ve been doing this for a few years and it helps the batteries I believe. The cost of running the tender is offset by the batteries lasting longer
This was the same deal as the previous owner of my truck, sat more than driven. He went as far as bolting a tender to the top of the aftermarket air cleaner cover so all you have to do is pop hood and plug in if its going to sit for a while.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have the tender leads going from the passenger’s side battery terminals down and zip tied to the block heater cord then have both running to the front opening in the bumper. To plug in I reach into the opening and for the tender it is a two lead harness plug, and the block heater 120v cord is right beside it. To keep me from doing something stupid, on my garage door I have a large sign that says “STOP unplug truck”. You can probably figure what I did this.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
FWIW, I get about 4 to 4.5 years out of my batteries here in the HOT desert. I read alot of info on how tenders can really save a battery from an early death caused by sitting more than a day in this kind of heat. So I tried that on my Deka (CAT branded) batteries last time. No change. Still died after 4.5 just like the ACDelco OEMs.

I lived in cold ass MI most of my life and became a believer in battery tenders. However, you can't believe everything you read apparently. Tenders did me no good in the Vegas heat so I no longer bother. Now I just buy batteries that have the best replacement warranty.

Reactions: OkDually and Tom S.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW, I get about 4 to 4.5 years out of my batteries here in the HOT desert. I read alot of info on how tenders can really save a battery from an early death caused by sitting more than a day in this kind of heat. So I tried that on my Deka (CAT branded) batteries last time. No change. Still died after 4.5 just like the ACDelco OEMs.

I lived in cold ass MI most of my life and became a believer in battery tenders. However, you can't believe everything you read apparently. Tenders did me no good in the Vegas heat so I no longer bother. Now I just buy batteries that have the best replacement warranty.
I spent 5 years in cold ass MI as well and never had any battery issues. 4 years in KC prior to that with zero issues. All of my battery troubles have occurred in Mississippi and always when it seemed to be the hottest. I've always said the heat was way worse on batteries than cold and my experience proves it. :bigglasse

Reactions: mp06011999
1 - 14 of 14 Posts