Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my LMM last year to downgrade to a gasser and although it was an LS2 it still didn’t do it for me. Back looking for a duramax again. Was dead set on LMM again and this time I would do mods but now hearing that LML might be better. I’m just not familiar with the deleting/tuning recommendations. In Michigan so no emissions. Tried to call and talk to the tech support guys of a couple of the big name efi live tuners about mods and tuning today and I should’ve known better but they tell me it’s impossible to remove DPF or DEF; for legal reasons I’d assume.
I just want to get the most out of my LML without breaking the bank but my plan was efi live with dsp5 (have this from last truck but it was never used- just have to purchase tunes), CAI if recommended, Airdog 165 lift pump, get rid of EGR and PCV reroute, exhaust. I’m unfamiliar with the deleting, removal and/or bypass of the DEF system. Are most guys that can deleting all this or just running full emissions on LMLs? Is it much more costly to delete? What’s better?
The mods listed below were the extent of my plans with the LMM due to the transmission restrictions but I’ve been hearing the LML trans can take much more especially with a trans tune. Is this something that should be worked into the budget? Any other mods that are recommended?
Any information and opinions welcome as well as links to other threads or sites that help answer my questions. Thanks

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
The things needed for an LML are lift pump, fuel filtration, and a fuel additive for lubricity with each tank of fuel to help prevent the CP4 grenade issue.
For tuning, I would contact our Supporting Vendor, John Kennedy at Kennedy Diesel. he can give you some great advice on the route to take for your needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the best way to get answers from people doing the tuning? I would assume anything emissions related is “not possible” due to the legal situation but with how common it is, how can a guy get answers or opinions about the pros and cons of each?

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
What is the best way to get answers from people doing the tuning? I would assume anything emissions related is “not possible” due to the legal situation but with how common it is, how can a guy get answers or opinions about the pros and cons of each?
Personal contact ( Phone call or personal visit ) is the best way to get the info.
The strict Emission regulations do play a big part in the equation.
There are things that can and cannot be done. Again, Kennedy can steer you in the right direction

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may be putting the cart before the horse here but I’m trying to figure out my plans to wake the truck of my choosing up without having to build the trans. LMM vs LML. I’m fairly confident I’d be in a good position with an LMM to do the mods shortly after purchase. LML I’d hope the same unless it must have the cp3 conversion. Most don’t plan on buying a truck and needing to drop thousands on a new pump alone. In the case of the LML I’d have to run it stock for a while and see how difficult it is to do the swap myself. Otherwise I might not be able to afford it. Maybe in that case the LML is the wrong truck for me. Depending on year the truck I purchase may be nearing 100k miles in order to fit my budget. Maybe that’s another red flag for a truck prone to these issues. I’m trying to figure these things out before I choose a truck so I know what I’m getting into when it comes time to mod and/or delete.Thanks Appreciate all the input

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
I may be putting the cart before the horse here but I’m trying to figure out my plans to wake the truck of my choosing up without having to build the trans. LMM vs LML. I’m fairly confident I’d be in a good position with an LMM to do the mods shortly after purchase. LML I’d hope the same unless it must have the cp3 conversion. Most don’t plan on buying a truck and needing to drop thousands on a new pump alone. In the case of the LML I’d have to run it stock for a while and see how difficult it is to do the swap myself. Otherwise I might not be able to afford it. Maybe in that case the LML is the wrong truck for me. Depending on year the truck I purchase may be nearing 100k miles in order to fit my budget. Maybe that’s another red flag for a truck prone to these issues. I’m trying to figure these things out before I choose a truck so I know what I’m getting into when it comes time to mod and/or delete.Thanks Appreciate all the input
The CP3 conversion is not necessary. You just have to take the preventative measures I mentioned above along with purchasing your fuels at well-used stations like truckstops ( T/A, Pilot, Etc).
There are lots of Duramax trucks on the road and can reach well over 700k miles when they are taken care of.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
What are you going to do with the truck?

There were many upgrades to the chassis for the 2011 year, when the LML was introduced. (even though the bodies are the same)
All new frame, much much bigger service brakes, new front end, addition of exhaust brake, larger fuel tank, transmission beefed to hand increase in stock power level.....

One of the reviews from back then:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you going to do with the truck?

There were many upgrades to the chassis for the 2011 year, when the LML was introduced. (even though the bodies are the same)
All new frame, much much bigger service brakes, new front end, addition of exhaust brake, larger fuel tank, transmission beefed to hand increase in stock power level.....

One of the reviews from back then:
Daily driver. Don’t tow much at the moment. Run skidsteers or mini excavators on a 26’ tag trailer or car hauler short distances on a rare occasion for work. Just bought a house so most of the toys had to go. Camper and side by side will be in the future. I honestly don’t “need” a diesel but after having one previously, trying to make a gasser work and now wanting to get back in it, it’s much more of a want than need. I just like the way they drive and how everything is built heavier.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Can't tell you what will work best for you, just wanted you aware of the 2010 and earlier chassis vs 2011 and later chassis.
Next chassis change didn't occur til 2020 (yes, in middle of that period again they changed the HD bodies without changing chassis)

If running it stock is a consideration, the LML uses an extra injector in the exhaust to make the regen heat, instead of injecting the extra fuel during the exhaust stroke.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Picked up a 2016 Chevy 3/4ton CCSB LML this weekend. 80,000 mi completely stock, great shape. Now I have to get a plan going for the changes to come for the truck. I’ve noticed it’s not common that people talk on here about deleting/tuning etc that much. Looking for direction on what I’ll be doing to the truck and what has to be done. If any of you don’t want to post but are willing to give your opinion on it please pm me or let me know how I can get in contact with someone very familiar with the ins and outs of deleting, tuning and common modifications on these trucks.

Definitely doing efi live with dsp5 since I have the hardware, still have to find a good company to do the tunes...suggestions? Kory Willis at PPEI and Danville have been companies I’ve heard of for years since ATP is no longer in the game.

Trans tuning? Recommended? Something I know nothing about but would consider if it makes sense. Cost and opinions on this?

Lift pump soon to be ordered. Airdog 165 still one of the best?

I would really like to do the exhaust the more I think about it. Get rid of the dpf and regens that I can’t stand and eliminate the need for def would be nice too. Do I just need to search out a good exhaust kit and down pipe to do this or are more parts required? Suggestions on good exhaust kits appreciated.

Considering CP3 conversion more and more. SDP seems to have a popular kit with the sportsman’s pump (if that pump will be sufficient?) Hoping to do the work myself but want to do some more digging to further familiarize myself with it.

Cold air intake necessary? Always heard the stock on the LMM were great to 500+ hp. Not sure what hp/tq numbers I’ll be running without touching the trans but is this a good idea?

Trans go jr. Have one that was intended for the LMM. Are these common on LMLs or even compatible?

Truck is sluggish so improvements would be nice but I want this to be very reliable so what’s best to achieve that? I don’t want this to become a money pit but I do want to wake it up a bit and make it reliable.

Thanks, Taylor

·
Administrator
16,702 Posts
Trans tuning? Recommended? Something I know nothing about but would consider if it makes sense. Cost and opinions on this?
Any tunes over 50-90hp you should consider upgrading the trans components to prevent any damage
If you are seriously looking for trans tuning I would suggest you send a PM over to member Mike L. who is the Allison trans guy to talk to.

Lift pump soon to be ordered. Airdog 165 still one of the best?
Kennedy Diesel has a single lift pump kit that is easy on the wallet and many members here have used Kennedy Diesel

I would really like to do the exhaust the more I think about it. Get rid of the dpf and regens that I can’t stand and eliminate the need for def would be nice too. Do I just need to search out a good exhaust kit and down pipe to do this or are more parts required? Suggestions on good exhaust kits appreciated.
Exhaust systems make good improvements. Shop around online, look at our supporting vendors and get some comparison pricing to help your decisions..

Considering CP3 conversion more and more. SDP seems to have a popular kit with the sportsman’s pump (if that pump will be sufficient?) Hoping to do the work myself but want to do some more digging to further familiarize myself with it.
Again, the CP3 conversion is not necessary. As long as you install the preventative measures mentioned, you can save that money for other projects.

Cold air intake necessary? Always heard the stock on the LMM were great to 500+ hp. Not sure what hp/tq numbers I’ll be running without touching the trans but is this a good idea
Not necessary for stock applications. If you are tuning you may consider installing a CAI. Only use a dry paper filter type CAI.
Oiled air filters like K & N tend to cause MAF and performance problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts