Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all!

Seems like I'm "spamming" the 6.5 forums with my newbie question.... in my defence, I have read through the FAQ posts, and not found a "definitive" answer to my very basic questions, so here goes..

I've gotten my hands on a presumably '96 DS4 (used) injection pump, is there anything in the way of me using this to swap out the IP sitting on my '97 DS4 IP?

Also, I'm looking to "refurbish" the IP I've gotten my hands on, and keeping this as a spare in the case that my current IP says goodnight, any tips on what to do with this new IP to "refurbish" it? I was just thinking of maybe getting some breakleen and cleaning it thoroughly, maybe some new timing gears?

Part 2 - I've been going over my grounds (they were almost all pretty much broken), and had a question about what I presume is glow plugs.

These orange wires in the picture below, going to the presumable glow plugs, they seem really thin and weak, and I'm thinking about swapping them out with some beefier wires - good idea or?

Part 3 - as I was working on my grounds, I came across this part in the picture below. Any idea of what this is? The connections on it seems shot, any idea on how I would go with swapping connections out?

Thanks fellas, I really would have been in over my head if it wasn't for all the knowledge of the people on this forum...

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
Hey y'all!

Seems like I'm "spamming" the 6.5 forums with my newbie question.... in my defence, I have read through the FAQ posts, and not found a "definitive" answer to my very basic questions, so here goes..

I've gotten my hands on a presumably '96 DS4 (used) injection pump, is there anything in the way of me using this to swap out the IP sitting on my '97 DS4 IP?

Also, I'm looking to "refurbish" the IP I've gotten my hands on, and keeping this as a spare in the case that my current IP says goodnight, any tips on what to do with this new IP to "refurbish" it? I was just thinking of maybe getting some breakleen and cleaning it thoroughly, maybe some new timing gears?

Part 2 - I've been going over my grounds (they were almost all pretty much broken), and had a question about what I presume is glow plugs.

These orange wires in the picture below, going to the presumable glow plugs, they seem really thin and weak, and I'm thinking about swapping them out with some beefier wires - good idea or?

Part 3 - as I was working on my grounds, I came across this part in the picture below. Any idea of what this is? The connections on it seems shot, any idea on how I would go with swapping connections out?

Thanks fellas, I really would have been in over my head if it wasn't for all the knowledge of the people on this forum...
The DS4 IP swap should be fairly easy to do. There are links in the FAQ on Injection pump replacement to help.
Other than cleaning the IP you should be good.
The orange wires to the glow plugs should be Fusible links. Fusible links are a type of safety wire designed to burn through if an overload happens, preventing a fire hazard.
Fusible links can be purchased at most auto parts stores. You can build your own glow plug harness using the link in the DIY section of the FAQ.

Your mystery part is the starter solenoid. It attaches to the starter..
By the looks of the picture, you are missing the small nut that connects the starter solenoid to the starter support bracket that is attached to the engine block.
You must have that properly secured to the bracket or the start can torque its way off of the engine block, ripping out the starter bolts and damage your engine to the point you will have to replace the engine.
The nut size for the bracket to the solenoid is listed within the "Parts list section" of the 6.5 FAQ

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
The orange glow plug extensions are OEM and are not Fusible Links.
They are only used on the passenger side, 3ea. or 2ea. depending on year.
The orange wire is 18ga. PTFE (teflon) coated to resist the exhaust heat.
GM has always used fusible link wire at the ends of the glow plug harnesses,
sometimes most of the harness, except when they added the 3 orange extensions you see.
They did that for the FL's higher heat resistance, not to serve as a fuse.
Fuses and fusible links protect wiring harnesses, they do no good at the end of a circuit.
Glow plugs ARE a short, when they go bad they are no longer a short.
The glow plug harness protection is the 2 FL's at the GPR.
Additionally the FL used on the harnesses is to long to act as a FL.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 3 of 3 Posts