Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing fancy here, just some info. All these Boost PSI readings are with CA Hot Juice lvl 4.

This info is based loosely on readings Nick and I obtained after following the Banks instructions perfectly (9 turns on turnbuckle after sitting actuator flush). Both of our Peak Turbo Boost readings were both around 35 or 36 psi.

My next step was to loosen it 3 turns (making it 6 turns according to the Banks instructions) and that dropped my Peak Boost to 29.7 psi.

I loosened it 2 more turns (making it 4 turns according to the Banks instructions) and the Peak Boost dropped to 26.8 psi.

In summary:
9 turns - 36.5 psi
6 turns - 29.7 psi
4 turns - 26.8 psi

These readings were from my truck using a SPA 211 gauge, and your readings may vary. This info is just to get you into a ballpark reading so you can avoid climbing onto the engine several times.

If I ever need more boost, I sure know where to find it!

Randy

·
Registered
704 Posts
So did you notice any power difference at the different boost levels? How about EGT differences?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going by seat of the pants I would say yes, though I do not know where the point of diminishing return would be.

EGTs were similar if not a tad lower.

Where it REALLY helps is on WOT acceleration, the turbo lag may be similar but boost seems to build quicker and stay at higher levels longer. Going 55 to 70MPH the boost seems to be there quicker and stay longer.

·
Banned
394 Posts
any turbo noise change? seems like the whisle would be louder? but i think that would be a good thing

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where can one get the Bighead actuator and does it alone make any difference or do you have to have the whole kit? I looked at the Banks site and did not find it by itself.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wondered that too. As Newtorving said by looking on the Banks site it would appear that it's not available by itself.

Steve

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Yes, you can buy the Big Head Actuator by itself for about $200. Call Banks by phone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ok, will the Bighead acutator make any difference on a stock motor with no boxes or chips? And what are the pros and cons of doing only that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts