Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok have been doing some looking and comparing exhaust systems. Someone fill me in on the differences. I know about the minor stuff like egt's and hp but as far as best buy, prices and advantages of one over the other what are they? I have connections to get all the systems except MBRP and I am going to get in touch with them about their systems, just want a heads up before I purchase. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an MBRP. Serious drone at around 1800RPM. I listened to MikeL's TTS exhaust while in LA this week, and it is awesome. According to Mike the muffler is only supplied to TTS. I'd suggest you check the TTS out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Love my Banks.....

Not too loud, looks great.

I will say that I wish they had made the tail piece 2" longer so that it would come out past the rear quarter panel a little more when the 5" tip is not used.

Other than that, completely satisfied....
Edited by: Blinky

·
Registered
31 Posts
An exhaust system is going to be my first performance upgrade, and I'm tossed about whose system to go with. I like the look of duals and am leaning that way. I want the Sound-o-power without any drone inside. On my trips into Ontario's snowmobile paradise pulling a 4 place trailer, it would be annoying. I'm going to hang a plow on the truck for non-commercial plowing, and it could be a real pain in the ears. Anyone have a recommendation?

Also, I would like to ditch the cat (2004 LLY motor) and go with a turbo-back system. I read on a post somewhere that the reduced backpressure sends some sort of EGR related code. Should this be a concern?

Stainless is the way I want to go, but it's not for show and I don't need a polished 304 system except for some nice shiny tips.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Silatman Do you know what direction the muffler was installed? We usually have a great response to our DMAX systems, a drone is new to me.

Let me know, would like to help If I can PM me if you would like, lets see what we can do.

.Thanks

MB

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey, all. I have an MBRP, single. At first it was too loud. Now I don't even notice any more. I have towed with it twice (short trips) and haven't noticed anything out of wack. It seems like all the systems are about the same. Just the material used (304, 409, aluminized) to manufacture, is the difference.
The muffler on the MBRP is certainly a free flowing muffler, looking through it.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SpeedTherapy, do not hi jack my thread man, post your own..

MBRP, you post on this thread and say nothing about your own system? Come on, I need answers.

Max, the 304, 409 and alum are all the same materials used, they are all manufactured in the same places and sold to different dealers then sold to the places that make the systems.

What I want to know is about HP and Torque numbers with both, sound, advantages of one over the other. So I need answers quick going to buy something soon.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
GMC2500HD,

Easy big guy, I've been watching this since I'm in the same spot as you and the answers are coming, even if a bit slowly.

I don't know that you'll get definitive answers about the performance numbers. I've talked to most of the manufacturers and they all say they've got the best system, ATS claims virtually no backpressure, Banks claims some power gains.

I've not seen anyone post with actual numbers comparing one to another. That would be a lot of work and spendy to produce. So I think we're kind of stuck with other member's experience with multiple systems.

In general, most seem to agree that a 304 system is not the way to go. Too spendy, too brittle to accomplish a good mandrel bend and maybe even contributing to a louder or "tinny" sound from the exhaust.

All the digging I've done, I've kind of narrowed it down to either ATS or Banks. Both talk about the problems associated with systems that do not have a true mandrel bend producing too much distortion in the system and adding to the restriction inherent with a turbulent gas flow. So at least they are aware of it.

Both claim there's is the best system, but the ATS is a chunk of change more than Banks. I've heard the ATS system and I'd say it's about 5% louder in the cab, Banks claims 1 to 2 decibles louder.

I've not seen anyone here post about problems with either system, but I've not seen anyone post who's had both systems on the same truck.

As far as pricing goes, since you're looking at the manufacturer with either one of these two, it's down to how good of a discount they would give you with your connections.

And last, Banks told me yesterday that there is a two week lead time on getting theirs. When I was up at ATS the other day, the warehouse was chock full of boxed systems and they didn't indicate there was any lead time needed. Now this would be for a CAT back system for my truck, a complete system may not have that much lead time involved, but Banks claims they can't keep up with orders...

I hope some of this will be helpful to you, but it would be nice if you could get more responses to this thread as well...
Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
No horse, or torque increase that you will notice. More for lower EGT's. If you plan to add performance modules, or programs, it pretty well a must. (so I have learned)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Zeeb said:
In general, most seem to agree that a 304 system is not the way to go. Too spendy, too brittle to accomplish a good mandrel bend and maybe even contributing to a louder or "tinny" sound from the exhaust.

Just curious, where did you come up with that info ? I paid less for my B&B 304 exhaust than what Banks charges for their 409 exhaust, there is nothing wrong with my mandrel bends and the sound is certainly not tinny. I'm not trying to bust your balls, just trying to share my experiences.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I have the Banks exhaust, (Have now for more then 50,000 miles) The only complaint is that it has rusted very bad for a two year old system. Everyone that has rode in my truck likes the sound. (Some said it could be louder) Last year at the Grand Rapids get to gether I took a couple dozen guys rides in it, had no complaints what so ever. Once in a while I notice a drone at about 1700-1800 rpm, but not very often.

As for power difference; I think that would be very little on ant system, even though some claim as much as 40 hp. If you are looking for a torque/power increase, you will need to buy a add on power box of some sort. However I do think the turbo spools up faster, and between the exhaust and AFE stage II cold air induction intake the turbo is 3 or 4 times loader under load.

For $650 or more these stainless steel pipes should not rust in less then two years. Maybe that does not matter to you, but it does to me. I will be buying else where in the future.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
GMC2500HD said:
Since you live in Texas and you don't need to worry about road salt in the winter, I would go with the less expensive Aluminum coated system, which should last the life of your truck and save you alot of money, thats what was recommended to me here in Florida.

SpeedTherapy, do not hi jack my thread man, post your own..

MBRP, you post on this thread and say nothing about your own system? Come on, I need answers.

Max, the 304, 409 and alum are all the same materials used, they are all manufactured in the same places and sold to different dealers then sold to the places that make the systems.

What I want to know is about HP and Torque numbers with both, sound, advantages of one over the other. So I need answers quick going to buy something soon.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Banks claims up to 18hp and 30tq gains. I don't know about the others. I'm up here in Minnesota and we have alot of salting in the winter time. I do keep my truck washed all the time, so I hope my Banks exhaust don't start to rust. I've had it on for about 6 months now. I bought stainless so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I would think that it's the same quality as the OE system. Does anyone know what type of stainless comes with the truck?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It's my understanding the factory system is aluminized T-409 stainless, but I've not seen anything in print to verify that.

T-409 will rust due to the differences in alloy content. It's not as corrosion resistant as the T-304.

It's one of the many confusing factors in selecting what material you'd like your exhaust system to be made of...

·
Registered
206 Posts
GMC2500HD it's called proper forum etiquette. I do not "sell" our exhaust systems here as I am not a paid advertiser on this site. I have contacted Nick and do have a contract and check sent off to him at this time. I am here using this forum just like you, to gain knowledge on our DMAX trucks.

I see you have PM'd me I will address your exhaust q's on a PM.

MB

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
GMC2500HD,

Well mabe we can help you, we are one of the largest MBRP distributors and there are a number of MBRP advantages that we can fill you in on. The welded hangers on all stainless systems are made from T-304 stainless, no matter if you get a 409 or 304 system we use the same hangers to make sure you never have a corrosion problem in them. Hangers are where you will usually have a corrosion problem and we never want to hear from you because of that so we use the best possible materials. All of the stainless systems are polished, it looks great and helps to keep road crud from sticking to the pipes and makes clean up real easy too! We also use the spiral flow muffler system that has a small flow advantage over others as it re rotates the exhaust gasses as they tend to slow down after leaving the turbo. Finally you will find that we have a VERY competitive prices that should save you some money for that set of gauges or HP box that you've been wanting as well. Please call us and we wil be glad to help you with any questions you might have.

Mark @ DPPI

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.