Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time now, I had hopes of eventually turbo charging my 1986 CUCV w/GM-6.2L, but after an online search, and after contacting Banks, (no reply) it appears they no longer make the 6.2L turbo kit, am I too little too late? o_O

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
For some time now, I had hopes of eventually turbo charging my 1986 CUCV w/GM-6.2L, but after an online search, and after contacting Banks, (no reply) it appears they no longer make the 6.2L turbo kit, am I too little too late? o_O
Keep browsing eBay for any NOS kits out there.
Jay with Banks @TurboTime may have some info on any available parts?

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Reactions: Dave Kay

·
Registered
1984 GMC K1500
38 Posts
2018 was when production ceased.
wasn’t sure exactly when they quit making them but do know when I spoke with them in 2007, they were talking of discontinuing it back them. I remember that because, i ordered parts for my system, and then went back overseas for several years before being able to install them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I suppose the liquidation of CUCVs 2008 to 2014 increased demand. I was looking at them around that time as I purchased my M1031 SECM in 2012. I didn't like the clutter on the passenger side, specifically the glow plug replacement would take 4 hours or more.
This is yet one more reason for my ongoing turbo system design and fabrication.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose the liquidation of CUCVs 2008 to 2014 increased demand. I was looking at them around that time as I purchased my M1031 SECM in 2012. I didn't like the clutter on the passenger side, specifically the glow plug replacement would take 4 hours or more.
This is yet one more reason for my ongoing turbo system design and fabrication.
Uh, yeah I'm looking at the Banks installs and tho it is crowded, adding and AC later looks even more problematic, prolly needing an auto lift--- which I don't own as yet. What if anything are guys doing these days to turbo our older M1008's--- going with the 6.5 turbo setup, or is there another design yourself, aftermarket solution?

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Banks system is 35 years old and has a few weak points. First, it is a free float turbo. Dead simple but only useful above 2500 RPM. It has high volume manifolds, further decreasing transient response.

What I am doing is making exhaust manifolds specifically for twin turbos. This places a turbo on top of each valve cover, eliminating the cross under and preserving stock dual exhaust.

Compressor discharges have a very short run to a modified intake manifold that is blanked off with a cap that raises stock air filter about 2 inches.
The turbochargers are small units, each delivers 20 pounds mass of air per minute. That is 550 cubic feet of air per minute, the engine moves 350 cubic feet per minute without turbos. Without heating effects, about 8 PSI boost. Reality is about 10 PSI as efficiency is about 70% so discharge temperature will be about Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sculpture Gas Rim
Fluid Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Nickel Gas
170°F.

Turbos are variable geometry Garrett knock offs. I am designing an analog computer to control geometry based on throttle position and manifold pressures, both intake and exhaust.
Fluid Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Nickel Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sculpture Gas Rim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts