Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered up a Banks Monster exhaust a while back from an internet retailer with a good price. Tried installing it, would not fit. None of the Pipe brackets would align with the stock hanger brackets after the headpipe. Spent an hour on hold to their tech line, to discover, based upon part numbers of the individual pieces, that I have the wrong kit. Box was labeled incorrectly, meanwhile, stock exhaust has been cut off and removed. They overnite me an intermediate pipe, which is supposed to fix everything, NOT. The muffler itself in this kit is too long. Again, another hour on hold, They then promise to overnite a replacement muffler, well it has not come, and have had to rent a replacement truck for the last 5 days waiting for them to sort this crap out. Needless to say, I am frustrated, and venting a little.

Otherwise, the exhaust looks amazing. Hope to actually get it installed one of these days!Edited by: jeephauler

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I'd run it wide open.... not kidding. I run straight pipe as it is.

Until you get the right stuff that is..Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
So are you having the problem with Banks or an aftermarket dealer? I got my exhaust direct from banks and I took it to a friends exhaust shop. That thing went in in about 35 minutes (excluding removal of old system). Total time was less than 1 hour and 15 minutes. Even the guys that worked there said they have never had an aftermarket system go on this smooth. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

JP

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I would have bolted back on what you could of the stock exhaust, at least up to the 4 bolt flange and run it. It would be loud but a pair of earplugs are cheaper than renting another truck.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
no kidding i'm with mike... mine fit fine, but i did get it direct.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my Banks Monster W/brake direct from Banks. Everything fit perfect and works perfect.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Got mine from a vendor in Washington for much less delivered to my door shipped directly from banks than if I had ordered it from banks directly. Way cool...and fit like a glove.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I went thru this type of problem with my 87 ford way back, it took them a couple of trys to get it right and I still had to modify the darn thing to make it fit. Sorry for your problems.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i ordedered from the gent in the group buy topics . we made sure it was the right part number, then he had it shipped direct from banks. if you got the right kit, fit cannot be beat

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Jeephauler,

First and foremost do not run your engine with out some sort of exaust pipe. You need several feet of pipe to conduct a maintain heat. If you have an exaust system that is to short, massive amounts of cold air will revert back up your exaust onto your rosey red hot exaust valves after shutting the engine off. This is a bad thing. I do not know what the magical length is but 2 to 3 feet after the true down pipe( thanks idle chatter) should do. Racers get away with running straight headers but they do not get away with 100k miles. Also try to vent out the side. Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. You can't smell it either.

As far as your system goes. The extended cab short bed requires trimming of one piece of pipe. The head pipe ends with a 4 bolt flange. The very next piece will need to trimmed to 9.75 inches. If you trim this piece, have all of the other correct pieces and install the system so that all brackets are parralell to the frame rail, and leaning forward moreso after the exaust pipe you will be fine. The new system with the polished muffler and double wall tip is sweet. I am sorry Banks is not being vey helpfull. Have you tried working with the folks that sold you the system?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally sorted out. Banks ended up overnighting an intermediate pipe, and then overnighting the correct length muffler. Sure has to eat into their profit margin, but then again, they mislabeled the box. Used stainless band clamps instead of those provided. Ended up with perfect fit. Love the sound, glad its not real loud, nice and mellow.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Stuff happens. I would have expected Banks to do what they did in straightening you out. Did they send you a free hat?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Jeephauler,

Where did you get the better clamps? The only thing I did not like was the clamps they sent with my kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just cut out my muffler and welded a piece of 31/2" in place of it. $17, best thing I have done yet. I like the sound and isn't much louder at all at idle than stock. Notice it during acceleration, but isn't bad at all at cruising speeds, at least not in the cab, don't know about along side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Considering that the muffler itself reduces most of the back pressure, I wonder if it might be a good alternative, to replace the muffler only, instead of paying a fortune for the whole exhaust system.

The stock exhaust is 3.5 inches, and going to 4 inches may be of less benefit than changing to the less restrictive exhaust. The increase area is only 31% bigger. And you are still somewhat limited by the manifolds.

Also, from what I've read, there is a restriction point in one manifold (was it Driver side?) that can be machined out for better flow.

Both these options may to a lot for a little.

I'd like to see a temperature and pressure comparison between the stock exhaust, the stock exhaust with Banks muffler, and the Banks exhaust system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts