Diesel Place banner

Banks and Boost Stick - compatible?

3K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Max 
#1 ·
I have the Banks Power PDA (Six Gun and Speed Loader).

I'd like to increase my boost. I've seen an adjustable system and I've been reading about the Boost Stick.

Is the Boost Stick compatible with the Banks system?

#2 ·
Good morning Loader I was wondering the same thing. I just got off of the phone with John Navve @ BANKS and forgot to ask. How do you like the PDA? Is or does it compare to the others?

thanks Shawn

#4 ·
Good morning Loader I was wondering the same thing. I just got off of the phone with John Navve @ BANKS and forgot to ask. How do you like the PDA? Is or does it compare to the others?

thanks Shawn
Good Morning! I mean Good Afternoon! i just realized it's lunchtime already!

So far I really like the Power PDA. I hated that ugly switch. The system was so easy to install I kept rechecking to make sure I'd done everything! I also like being able to set the system to "stock" and take the PDA with me so nobody else can boost it. I'm going to suggest to Banks that they put in a disable function - that way, no PDA then the truck won't start. That would help keep it where I park it!

I don't know how they all compare as far as performance. Banks wants to think they're the safest as far as longevity. I do know that with the stock intake and stock exhaust, it was a dramatic change. At level 2 I saw a 2MPG increase and a real off-line change. At level 6 (forgot I had it up there) coming from a side street it just broke everything loose and kicked the ass-end around while melting the tires (I was trying to get going quickly to match the traffic speed). Scared the crap out of the car coming the other way. I'm glad I was paying attention! My wife wasn't impressed.

In two weeks we're going to strap it to a dyno and test it stock, with the Banks cat-back exhaust, with the Banks exhaust witout the cat, and finally with an intake. We'll see what kind of power it's really making.

Having been a software developer for many years, I tend to test things. I did find a bug and reported it. They said 30-days and a new version will be out. That's another nice thing. For an upgrade, all I have to do is download the file to my home computer, sync my PDA, and the upgrade is complete. I don't have to send anything in to be recalibrated!

#3 ·
I can't see any reason they wouldn't work together.

#5 ·
Loader,
Here's some of the averages I've seen on the LLY for the Six-Gun w/Speedloader..
level 3 +55hp
level 5 +100hp
level 6 +125hp

#6 ·
Interesting. Where is the 155hp they claim? I suppose that must be at the crank?

We'll see what it does without the cat and with the intake opened up. I may put in a dump tube to see what that nets.

Thanks!

#8 ·
It is compatible,but we do not recommend anything over 32PSI MAX for a sustained period,also you can get better results with a stack.The problem with stacking is some just cannot stop,Than it just a matter of time before the $$$ shows it ugly head.

#11 ·
Thanks, but I have no idea what a stack is. I'll see if I can find something in the archives. My assumption is that you're talking about using some programmer with the Banks system, but Banks tech support told me to behave myself and not do that.

#9 ·
Loader - do you have your EGR blocked off? I am starting the process of upgrading my stock truck. Blocking the EGR and a banks PDA are high on the list, just want to make sure they work together....

#10 ·
Loader - do you have your EGR blocked off? I am starting the process of upgrading my stock truck. Blocking the EGR and a banks PDA are high on the list, just want to make sure they work together....
Hang tight! My dyno time is scheduled for a week from Saturday. The Finger stick is on it's way and I'll make the blockoff plate this weekend.

Although another web site has offered to pay for my writeup, I'm still going to post results here in this forum.

This week I'm doing tranny slippage tests.

#16 ·
Do you have any pics of how you have the PDA mounted in your cab? You can email me if you dont feel like posting them. PM me for my email (trying to prevent more spam from posting email address).

Also, what was the bug you found?

I have been looking at the banks website, but they dont have a lot of info on the PDA setup (cradle installation, what info the PDA provides on your truck).

I have a Sony palm pilot and my wife has the E2, so we are very familiar with the palm. People laugh at me becuase I found an easy way to rip Simpsons episodes from TV and play them back on my palm. Great for layovers at the airport. Banks offers the PDA setup minus the E2, incase you already own one, that is one reason why this setup is attractive to me. Plus I have bluetooth GPS set up on my palm, which would add mapping, routing and added power all on one device (which I already own)!

#18 ·
Do you have any pics of how you have the PDA mounted in your cab? You can email me if you dont feel like posting them. PM me for my email (trying to prevent more spam from posting email address).

Also, what was the bug you found?

I have been looking at the banks website, but they dont have a lot of info on the PDA setup (cradle installation, what info the PDA provides on your truck).

I have a Sony palm pilot and my wife has the E2, so we are very familiar with the palm. People laugh at me becuase I found an easy way to rip Simpsons episodes from TV and play them back on my palm. Great for layovers at the airport. Banks offers the PDA setup minus the E2, incase you already own one, that is one reason why this setup is attractive to me. Plus I have bluetooth GPS set up on my palm, which would add mapping, routing and added power all on one device (which I already own)!
You're exacly right - if you already own a Tungsten E2, then will take $225 (or $250, I forget) off the price. I supplied my own as they were on sale at Circuit City for $174!!

I will give you one warning about the Banks PDA. The first thing you need to set is the Audible Warning volume. I didn't know it was adjustable. I hooked up the system sans EGT probe. The alarm went off as it thought my EGT's were over 1600 and let me tell you it went right through me and I almost stained my seat!

The Audible Alarm will go off for Engine Coolant Temp, Engile Oil Temp, Engine Tuner Code, Exhaust Gas Temp, and Trans Temp. If any of those parameters go into the danger zone, there will be no question in your mind that there is an emergency and you'll want to drive into the nearest tree just to make that horrific noise stop! So, set the volume to medium until you get used to it!

I don't have pictures yet, but I'll work on that this weekend for ya. Cool?

Here are the displayable functions that you'll have:

EGT and Boost pressure are always displayed. So is the Current Power Level (1-6) and the System Status (hopefully it is always OK so you don't have to hear that damn alarm!). There are three options as to how you want things displayed - Vertical, Horizontal, or line graph (looks like a dyno chart). There are supposedly other display interfaces that are downloadable but I haven't tried that yet.

Here are the optional functions you can display (you choose two from this list and can change either or both at any time):

• Power Added (%)
  • Engine Coolant Temp
  • Trans Fluid Temp
  • Engine Oil Temp
  • Engine RPM
  • Vehicle Speed
  • Transmission Slip (RPM) - Automatic only
  • Torque Converter Status (TCC - locked or unlocked)
  • Gear
  • Throttle Position (you can use this to verify when your foot is on the floor are you at 100% or not - do this with the key ON and the engine OFF please!)
  • Engine Load
  • Barometric Pressure
  • Intake Air Temperature
The Intake Air Temp (IAT) I've found interesting. I ran one day with the grille cover on. IAT was 113. I took it off and it was 53 (I think it was 45 out that day). This verifies to me that (a) the grille cover does indeed keep heat under the hood, and (b) that if I'm wanting to keep incoming air temps down to create power then I should take that grille cover off!

You can also read your codes, clear your codes, do 0-60, 1/8-mile and1/4 mile times, and save these runs for later reference.

You can also adjust some things like:
  • fuel delivery based on coolant temp,
  • when the EGT limiting comes in (1350? 1400? 1600? How hot to you want to let things get?)
  • You can tell it how long to wait to correct the EGT - like if I set it for 1400, do I want it to react when 1400 is read or wait 1 second then react?
  • acceleration fueling characteristics
  • fuel tuning based on transmission shifting (if you're over-fueling, maybe you'd like to back off some while the tranny changes gears?)
  • and you can configure those damn alarms as to when they will scare the hell out of you
Oh, and one other luxury that's pretty cool: Now that I sync with the calendar on my computer, I can drag myself out to the truck, start it up, look at the PDA and it'll tell me what appointments I'm going to miss if I don't get my ass going. Then I touch the Banks icon that was installed when I loaded the software, and it takes over from there. I say "touch" and not "tap" 'cause the touch-screen programming works with all the Banks stuff - you don't have to use that little pencil/pen thing that fell down between my seat and the center console.

Yeah, I saw some of the GPS stuff. It was pretty cheap and would probably be cool to have that handy but I can get good and lost with my paper maps and don't need an electronic device to help me get lost - I might be tempted to throw it out the window for helping me get so damn lost!

I guess that wouldn't be so bad 'cause then that damn alarm would be going off so it'd be real easy to find it in the weeds!

#20 ·
Loader - thanks for all the info, I need to re-read your post a few times to extract all the info from it.

Big Max - thanks for the pics. How does that cradle install in / on the dash? Did you have to drill any holes in the trim?

I have the extended warranty on mine, and I want to make sure I can pull out whatever I put in and make her look bone stock incase I need to fully excersize that warranty...

#21 ·
Loader - thanks for all the info, I need to re-read your post a few times to extract all the info from it.

Big Max - thanks for the pics. How does that cradle install in / on the dash? Did you have to drill any holes in the trim?

There are a couple of pieces of 2 sided tape and two screws that hold this on. One piece of tape attaches the holder to the bezel and one to the dash. I didn't affix the one for the dash incase I had to remove the bezel. The screws go through the bezel and into the dash.

Max

#23 ·
Dang! I gotta stop writing books!

#25 ·
Thanks guys for all the response on this. Gotta get the cash built back up again, I'm buying the 285's this week.

#26 ·
Loader, maybe I missed it in one of your "books" (which by the way are very informational - thank you!) but what was the bug you found? I'm on the fence... I'm either going to buy the standard six gun w/speedloader or step up to the PDA unit, just can't decide if I want to spend the extra cash for the PDA. Can you comment on the overall drivability/performance of the unit?

#27 ·
Sure thing (I'll TRY to keep it short!!).

Right now I'm testing stock - the only mod to the truck is the Banks PDA. Stock air box, stock trans, stock injectors, stock exhaust...

I ran for 3 tanks on Level 1 to satisfy me that it really is stock settings and to get baseline numbers for boost amounts and timing, trans temp, trans slippage, max boost, EGTs, and max EGTs. I ran two tanks at Level 2, and I'm on the second tank at Level 3.

Daily driving for me consists of 38 miles to and from work - about 50/50 highway and secondary with periodic stop and go depending on the day and weather.

So far it's been very drivable. Level 3 will surprise you when you're at 60 and pull out to pass a slower vehicle - what would've normally taken me to 75 (time and pedal pressure) will now be around 90. Going fast is quite effortless, but L3 does start to show smoke.

I also have to admit something. I thought there were 6 settings with the PDA just as the switch has. There are actually 7 with the PDA. After feeling what L6 is like, I don't think the stock-size tires are going to like the 7th setting which is SL (for Speed Loader). This setting even raises the allowable EGT. I can't wait for the next dry day!

I didn't need the Palm for anything and I really didn't need to spend extra money. But now that I have it, I really am glad I did. It really adds to the experience.

Plus, when you see gauges on a pillar you can assume there are mods. Nobody knows that my truck has mods since there are no gauges. I really surprised a VERY loud Mustang 5.0 convertable this past Saturday. I left him and it took him awhile to catch me and finally pass. I had three tool boxes in the bed, two car batteries, and a full tank of fuel. And I was on L3. He looked over as he passed as if to say "Yeah, take that. I win." Having pulled him and maintained as long as I did, I just smiled and waved him off to say "Yep. You finally caught and passed a 6500-lb diesel pickup with a load. Good job!" Remember, I haven't done the intake nor the exhaust yet!

The one negative I've encountered is that it won't work completely with the Boost Stick. I plan on testing with it as well (after the exhaust and EGT block with Finger), but the way it works I won't get true Boost readings with the Palm. To remedy this, I need to install a separate Boost gauge (which I will do so I can keep testing - but somewhere less conspicuous).

The bug? What I can say about it is that it appears to only exist with 2004 LLY trucks with certain software loads. What is it? I don't exactly know. I've had my computer reprogrammed and nothing changed. Banks engineers are developing the software mod now. The system works perfectly as you would expect with the exception of the display - some things aren't displayed properly and the 0-60, 1/8-, and 1/4-mile performance tests apparently don't work on these "special" trucks.

I haven't seen another LLY truck with a PDA to see if their 0-60 performance test works, so I'm not sure how wide-spread this really is. Banks tells me it is early 2004 LLY trucks only.

#29 ·
Loader, keep up the good work! Interested to see what your boost levels and EGT's are...

...Oh yea, I'd like a signed copy of the book when it comes out):h

#30 ·
#31 ·
We're getting closer.

The Banks Monster Exhaust is in the truck (bed). The Airaid is ready to go. I now have a Boost Stick with extension and the Finger Stick for the EGR codes I expect to see with the LB7 exhaust I'm putting on an LLY truck. The EGR plate is almost here (stainless). Now I just need the dyno.

I called to confirm my appointment and found that the dyno installation wasn't completed two weeks ago as scheduled. They hope to have it up this week but can't guarantee my appointment for Saturday right now.

So, I might get delayed a little. Meanwhile, I'll keep doing the baseline evals. Tomorrow I'll fill up and switch to Level 4 to see what the MPG is like. It's probably going to suck, because I'm having a hard enough time keeping my foot out of it at Level 3!

#33 ·
Loader, thanks for the detailed info. Reading your post has really got me excited about my future purchase of a Banks kit. Does the Banks Six Gun require the tranny to re-learn shifts? Is the "off the line" performance improved?

#37 ·
Loader, thanks for the detailed info. Reading your post has really got me excited about my future purchase of a Banks kit. Does the Banks Six Gun require the tranny to re-learn shifts? Is the "off the line" performance improved?

I don't know about the tranny. I ran two tanks through at level 2 then two tanks at level 3 then two tanks at level 4 and now I'm back running a tank at level 2 again.

Of the line is incredible. You can really feel it at all times though, not just off the line.

Last week I was screwing around so I tried to launch it in level 7 (SL) in 2wd. That was a waste of time. It spun the tires so effortlessly you'd think someone had jacked up the rear! So, I tried it in 4WD, tow mode. I stood on the brake and brought it up to about 2000RPM then let it loose. I'd venture to say that launch seemed harder than my 10-second Camaro! WoW! I had to get back and look and there were marks from more than just the rear tires!

I can't wait to open the thing up! It's still got the factory exhaust on there!

#34 ·
Loader,
Have you seen that Banks is now offering their own Ram Air intake system?

#38 ·
Yep. I've been waiting for it for months. When I checked last month they told me it had put on hold so they could do stuff for the LBZ then they'd get back to it and let me know when it's ready.

I haven't heard from them and I'm not really thrilled with the new sales person - he doesn't seem to want to follow up. They know I'm testing and posting results - you'd think they'd be kissing my backside and making offers but not so. I've purchased everything at the standard customer rates.

Since they weren't ready and I stumbled across a helofa deal on eBay, I'm installing an Airaid unit for my intake tests. If Banks wants to send me their unit , I'll test it too.

#39 ·
Funny you should ask! I haven't quite finished those tests, but here's what I have so far...

This test was done by going to 100% throttle at 70MPH pulling in OD. Eng Temp 181F, Trans temp 125F Air temp 45 Intake air temp 50. Stock truck with a PowerPDA as the only mod (so far). Trans slip is normally 5-6.

Level Boost Trans Slip
1 16 13
2 16 13
3 20 18
5 22 26

I think what I'm seeing here is the Banks system limiting things based on parameters like tranny slip. Stomping on it from a stop, I see different boost numbers.

Level Boost EGT
1 20 1076
3 25 1143
6 27 1254
SL (7) 29 1280

I'm really curious about what the boost will do once the exhaust is opened up. I know on my Buick when I opened it up with no other mods it became a different animal! (Check my garage if you want to see the Buick).

#36 ·
Loader just got my BS EGR and FINGERS from Kennedy's I dont have the PDA yet still waiting to see what your results are. please keep us informed especially the dyno.

thanks Shawn

#40 ·
Loader just got my BS EGR and FINGERS from Kennedy's I dont have the PDA yet still waiting to see what your results are. please keep us informed especially the dyno.

thanks Shawn
I've got the FINGERS sitting here too. I've heard that the LB7 exhaust will throw codes on an LLY engine. Then I heard that GM has a new computer load that will fix it. I dunno. I'm going to do the blocker plate and give it the Finger, but not until after the dyno runs because I don't want to introduce another variable unless I have to.

I'm trying to get the dyno rescheduled. I just found a second shop that wants to play, so if the first one doesn't come through I'll schedule with the second one. I know lots of folks are waiting for results and I'm tired of having performance parts lying around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.