Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed this about 10 days ago. Best I've seen empty is 14.5 and pulling(10K) about 7.5, any of you running it getting these numbers? I like the power, just thinking of sending it back if this is the norm for it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
A few questions -

What MPG were you getting before?

Stock or larger tires?

What setting are you running on the 6G/SL?

Banks advertises MPG increases so you have a legitimate beef if your MPG has dropped under similar conditions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fred G said:
A few questions -

What MPG were you getting before?

Stock or larger tires?

What setting are you running on the 6G/SL?

Banks advertises MPG increases so you have a legitimate beef if your MPG has dropped under similar conditions.

Stock got 12/17, but with Superchips or Quadzilla got anywhere from 15/28.5 mpg

Stock tires, just replaced them Friday, but same size as stock. Truck has just over 29K miles.

Run on the 6 setting empty and 3 pulling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well if you run on the highest setting your not going to get the best gas milage...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Powell said:
Well if you run on the highest setting your not going to get the best gas milage...

I got 28.5 with the Quad on the 110(highest setting), so yes, I expect more than what I'm getting.Edited by: 4whln

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Are these MPG numbers manually calculated or are you using the DIC? I am a little skeptical of a Duramax getting 28.5 mpg, not saying it isn't possible, just that the 2 I have owned are not even close to those numbers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I don't think one has touched 25 MPG much less 28.5 MPG. Those sound like the messed up numbers you get from the DIC when running a performance adder.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I calculated manually, because I didn't believe it either. Computer showed average 27.8 on 320 miles, I checked my mileage when topping off the tank, ran 916.4 miles, filled up, held 32.1 gallons

The computer has been relatively close to actual most of the time when I check it manually.

·
Registered
91 Posts
916 miles on a single tank of diesel?!? I need to get one of those.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I wish I would have bought the Quad that you got, Mine on 110 hp setting only yeilds me about 20 maybe 21 if I drive like I should. But most of the time 19-20 is the norm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dieselfumes said:
916 miles on a single tank of diesel?!? I need to get one of those.

I run the Transferflow toolbox/tank combo. I carry a total of 84 gallons when completely full. So with that mileage, that would be about 2400 miles between fill ups.Edited by: 4whln

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hdmax said:
I wish I would have bought the Quad that you got, Mine on 110 hp setting only yeilds me about 20 maybe 21 if I drive like I should. But most of the time 19-20 is the norm.

This was the latest release program. Don't know what might be different about them. Don't they update them for you anyway? And I drive it relatively easy anyway.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've got the Banks Six-Gun with speedloader and I always run it on level 4. I'm getting 21mpg on the highway with 265's and a 3.73 gear ratio. I gained about 1.5mpg.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Sorry to rain on the parade,but I will repeat what was already said, no way anyone is getting over 25 MPG! If so Quad would sale a millon tuners! 28MPG yea right! Somebody needs to recalculate and verify and then let us know the real milage. Maybe quad reprogramed your odometer to make you think you were getting better milage? Maybe it is rolling over quicker than it should? Something is fishy!

Make sure tire size is inputed correctly, then use a knowin distance between fueling stations via mapquest. Fill till it clicks at the first station drive to the next station, refill. Divide map quest milage by gallons used. That is MPG!

( Does Quad know how to shut down 4 out of 8 injectors?)

·
Registered
958 Posts
FWIW, I've gotten 25MPG before. I've also gotten 24.3MPG before on the exact same route, same start/finish so I know it wasn't a fluke.

That said, my truck is a regular cab 6speed and it was done in stock configuration, all highway miles averaging 55-60mph. Never exceeding 65mph. I don't think it's possible for a crewcab dually with the allison to get 28.5mpg, and I'd have a hard time believing anything much over 20mpg without seeing it myself.

My last tank I got 19.5mpg, mostly all highway miles with the juice on level 0, timing only, which is about average for me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Camstyn -

Your truck should be one of the best as you're lighter, and shorter which should give you less wind resistance. The ZF should be better too, no trans pump, etc.

Driving 65 helps too. You have to run 80 in MI or they run you off the road. I get 18-19 at those speeds, my one or two slow trips down in OH I have seen the MPG approaching 20 before I crossed back into MI and cranked it back up.

But I'm happy with 19, my old 5.7 gasser would drop to 15-16 at the same speeds.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Remember that if you're running the Banks and you have changed to a different tire size, you'll have to find the difference in how tall the tires are compared to stock and apply it to your miles/gallons. I don't have the exact measurements in front of me now, but going from a 245 (stock) to a 265 will probably be about 2.5 inches, about 8%. If you've gone 289 miles using 17 gallons of fuel, that gives you 17mpg. Multiplying 289 miles by 8% is 23.1 miles. Now you've got 312 miles total out of 17 gallons. You're actually getting 18.35 mpg. Using percentage is the most accurate as applying it either way will yield the same outcome.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Going from 245 to 265's you have to add 3% to your odometer.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Camstyn,

How did you come up with that figure? Aren't 245/75R16 about 29" tall, while 265/75R16 are about 32"?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts