Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

So yesterday I took the front axle shaft out to investigate a leak coming from an area around the rear end ujoint of the front axle shaft. I found that the ujoints on both ends of the front axle shaft needed replacing, but I also found something that surprised me - I'm thinking that this could actually be the cause of the leak I've been having.

This picture was taken of where the rear end of the front axle shaft connects with a ujoint.

Close up.

So the front axle shaft has been banging up on this side, and it probably must have made a hell of a clanking noise. I'm thinking that this has cause damage on both the front axle shaft and the scratched trans housing.

What do you guys think? I'm kinda nervous that this is a major operation that I have to sink the remained of my wallet in...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The truck has been sitting in the driveway overnight with the front axle shaft removed. Suspicions confirmed the ATF leak is coming from under here

Does anyone have experience with this kind of leak? Anyone know what's behind the bolt, perhaps a seal I can replace?

With the front axle shaft installed, I can rotate it by hand and it's not clanking into the scratched area in the pictures in the post above. But it doesn't have a lot of clearance.

When I'm rotating this part that's connect to the trans in the above picture, I can hear a metallic "clank" that corresponds with the rate I'm turning this part. Clanks once for each whole turn of this part.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
You could check to make sure the nut holding the yoke on is tight. It may have loosened up and lets the yoke wobble around. If that happened it might have just taken out the seal. IIRC the seal can be replaced with the transfer case in vehicle, Along with seal. I would also replace the yoke
If the yoke nut is on tight.. From the pics and description of the noise. I would say the front output bearing in the transfer case has gone bad. I know no way to fix it without pulling the transfer case and disassemble. If you have it that far apart you might as well rebuild the whole thing. or replace it.

Reactions: 56pan and truckr65
1 - 3 of 3 Posts