Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a problem in my truck where right as the rear tires are begin to spin on takeoff, there is a fairly harsh clunk. It isn't a hard launch or anything. Just a normal start, but if the roads are slick, it will really wake you up and snap you back.

It can be heard and felt inside the truck. It is very anoying when it is raining out.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but when the roads are slippery (rain or snow), the rear tires are prone to bouncing/hopping instead of just spinning.

This has happened since the truck was new.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it "normal"? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I've had a problem in my truck where right as the rear tires are begin to spin on takeoff, there is a fairly harsh clunk. It isn't a hard launch or anything. Just a normal start, but if the roads are slick, it will really wake you up and snap you back.

It can be heard and felt inside the truck. It is very anoying when it is raining out.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but when the roads are slippery (rain or snow), the rear tires are prone to bouncing/hopping instead of just spinning.

This has happened since the truck was new.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it "normal"? Thanks!
I had that happen on wet roads and applying a little too much throttle. I went to Bridgestone Revo's which are supposed to be an excellent wet road tire. If it happens again, I may look into Cal Tracs...

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
The noise you are referring to is most likely your locking diff locking up. By design, once one tire reaches 100 rpm faster than the other, the unit goes to full lock and sometimes it can be rather harsh. Sometimes a rear axle oil change to 75/140 sythetic can help, I preffer Redline gear oil.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that possible after only 6,000 miles?

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
The noise you are referring to is most likely your locking diff locking up. By design, once one tire reaches 100 rpm faster than the other, the unit goes to full lock and sometimes it can be rather harsh. Sometimes a rear axle oil change to 75/140 sythetic can help, I preffer Redline gear oil.
Sounds like someone will be shopping for a new Locker/LSD soon.

I agree

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
How about the tire hop? I have the same problem on snow/loose gravel. Very annoying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What if locker is not engaging?

as a gm tech i get this complaint alot...the noise is the locker engaging...it is normal....

What happens if your locker is not engaging?

I have a 2005 Dmax that came standard with the rear locker. I got stuck on some hard pack snow today, and fell through 5 inches to a underlayer of ice. I had one back tire spinning, but not the other. (rear passenger was spinning.)

Is it possible that the rear locker isn't working? It was pretty clear that only one tire was spinning. My 2002 8.1 with a locker always locked up immediately, and had both tires spinning.

Do I have a locker problem with this rear end?

thanks in advance !

Chevymax.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1 wheel spinning = no lock.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What happens if your locker is not engaging?

I have a 2005 Dmax that came standard with the rear locker. I got stuck on some hard pack snow today, and fell through 5 inches to a underlayer of ice. I had one back tire spinning, but not the other. (rear passenger was spinning.)

Is it possible that the rear locker isn't working? It was pretty clear that only one tire was spinning. My 2002 8.1 with a locker always locked up immediately, and had both tires spinning.

Do I have a locker problem with this rear end?

thanks in advance !

Chevymax.
Check for RPO G80 in your glovebox.

G80 = locker

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check for RPO G80 in your glovebox.

G80 = locker

Yep, looked at original MSRP sticker. Supposed to have the heavy duty power package, including the locker.

Any ideas? Should I have this thing looked at by the dealership?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yep, looked at original MSRP sticker. Supposed to have the heavy duty power package, including the locker.

Any ideas? Should I have this thing looked at by the dealership?
Yup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts