Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding a frame mounted pre filter, and wondering which size ball valve to use. I'm planning to put a ball valve on the tank side of the filter. All the valves I've seen for our applications are labled 'Standard Port', meaning that the the liquid passage (hole in the ball) is one pipe size smaller than the pipe size. For example, a 1/2" ball valve has a bore equal to a 3/8" pipe. The Racor head I'm using takes 3/8" fittings. If I use a 3/8" ball valve, will I negativly affect fuel flow due to the 1/4" pipe bore in the ball of the valve? My other choice is to use a 1/2" ball valve. That will provide the same bore size in the ball as the other 3/8" fittings on the filter. The problem here is that I'll be using 1/2" to 3/8" adapter fittings, and I like to keep things as simple as possibe. I guess the third choice is to not use a ball valve at all, but from what I've read, its nice to have a valve to shut off fuel from the tank when changing filters. Any thoughts on fuel flow if I use the 3/8" valve (3/8 pipe fittings, 1/4" ball bore)? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well I won't make suggestions on fitting sizes since I elected to install my Racor without ball valves.

I know some here have used them, but they are all over my fire truck and leaks are a problem. Granted those get used more than what yours would for a fuel filter, but you're working with vacumn as well on that install and air will get through smaller spaces than the diesel fuel. Plus finding vacumn leaks should they develop is tough.

Then there is always the space consideration, my setup was a little on the tight side without having to find room for ball valves as well.

But that's just my thoughts on whether or not to use them...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used a full flow ball valve as my bypass valve in my frame mounted cat filter. It is 1/2" pipe thread with 1/2" hole all the way through. I'm not sure about the availability of a 3/8" full flow valve, but maybe you can get one from a plumbing supply place. Be sure to get WOG (water,oil,gas) ball valves with teflon seals. No more use than these valves will get, leaks will be a rare occurance.

Can you exchange the Racor head for one with 1/2" fittings? I sure wouldn't want to drop the fuel flow to 1/4".

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts. After reading them, I did some checking at McMaster-Carr, and found a full flow 3/8" ball valve. They sure have a good selection.

www.mcmaster.com

·
Registered
663 Posts
LanduytG said:
... Use hose pinching pliers they work great and only about $7...

Dittos... I use the hose pinch pliers too ... they work great. I bought a set at Autozone.. (same as shown in the link below).

Northern Tool - Hose Pinch pliers

·
Registered
216 Posts
I HAVE USED VALVES FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS OR MORE WITH NO PROBLEMS,MIKE ( LOOK UNDER MY PIC'S)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts