Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of changing the OEM Allison spin on tranny filter. Was about to put new Baldwin filter and magnet on and noticed that the filter magnet looks as if it covers up the six small holes that encircles the threaded large hole on the face of the filter. Is this a probem? Need help ASAP. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I changed my fluid, filter and pan. The Baldwin filter looked like it would be restricted somewhat. I had both filters available, so I decided to stay with the Allison filter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got off the phone with a Baldwin Engineer. He said that it would not cause any flow restriction. The way the face of the filter is crowned in the center still allows plenty of flow around the magnet even though it looks as if the holes are covered. The Baldwin tranny filter for the Allison is made for Baldwin by someone else. Baldwin is in the process of making their own and he said that it will have the holes further towards the outer edge, same as the OEM. Thanks Steve for the pics.

Still would like to hear from the huddled masses. Is this engineer on the up and up?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wix filters are the same way. I seen the same thing when installing mine and seen the crown in the filter, I went ahead and put it on. Have not seen, heard or felt any thing abnormal. About 1500 miles since installation.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've run one for 4000 miles without issue, but I would still feel better if they moved the holes. I was so concerned, I almost removed the magnet.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've had a Baldwin trans filter for over 10,000 now without an issue whatsoever. Although after I deplete the stock(2 left) I'm going back to the Allisons(cheaper by a few bucks a piece in my locale). At 8 bux a pop, I can change them every 15000-20000 miles and not miss a beat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts