Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to do my first oil and filter change today with my DMax 6.6L Baldwin filter kit that came today. Ordered the kit that contains the oil, fuel, air and trany filters direct from Baldwin. I only have 1500 miles on my truck but decided to save a little money and get all four filters with the idea of changing the oil, fuel and trany filters now just to get the factory ones off and the break in oil out and have the air filter on hand for later. First oil change went quick. Installed a Fumoto drain valve so it will be even quicker from here on out. Went to do the Allison spin on and noticed the new Baldwin replacement had substantial amonts of rust on the face of it. Did not see any sign of it on the interior part of the filter just the face. Should I send it back or is it safe to use. Decided to hold off on changing the trany filter to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Let me know what you decide to do. I bought some genuine Allison Tranny filters from one of our vendors and they are rusted. He won't take them back because I've had them 8 months.

I'm wondering if he thinks filters are bread and they go bad from sitting on the shelf???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the OEM trany filter a Baldwin? Looks the same.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not sure, the only filters I've ever had came in an Allison box.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correction. I got the kit from Associated Diesel(adiesel.com) Probably will send it back just to see how they handle the situation. Was changing that filter just to say I did. First time to deal with Baldwin filters and Associated Diesel. Have used Wix on past trucks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I got fuel, oil, and tranny from Kennedy Diesel, and they are all clean as a whistle. What oil are you using Bowhunter? I am going to do my first with Delvac 1300. Not going to switch to synthetic till after 10K or more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pick

Have always used Rotella 15-40. Texas winters aren't harsh enough to have to switch from one weight to another for seasonal conditions. Thought about synthetic, asked a diesel tech friend and got the same reply you just gave, after 10k to allow for good break in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bowhunter said:
Went to do the Allison spin on and noticed the new Baldwin replacement had substantial amonts of rust on the face of it. Did not see any sign of it on the interior part of the filter just the face. Should I send it back or is it safe to use. Decided to hold off on changing the trany filter to see what you guys think.

E-mailed Associated Diesel and a replacement tranny filter is on the way. Customer service is everything

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yea, some vendors don't see it that way.

Act like filters should go bad if you let them sit around awhile, yet they want you to buy in quantity.

Won't be doing business with that vendor anymore. There are too many more out there happy to take my money and treat me right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts