Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is an 83 but engine is a ?? goodwrench 6.2L, bought from auction sale, so no clue about anything on it. Problem is it runs retarded. The pump's timming line is to the left (when looking at it from the front) of the line on the timing cover, when the pump is rotated as far as it goes. Is this the wrong pump or something? Goodwrenches I believe came w/o the pump, so who ever owned this before may have done ?? with something. I know gears and such is one thing, but that will not explain the line miss match, and I do not think it is stamped wrong as it IS running retarded.

Any ideas? Partnumbers to check?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
May be why it was on 'the block' - advance the mark to the line, see if it improves.

Also, check the mechanical advance lever on passenger-side of inj pump for free operation

Be sure air filter and fuel filter are fresh - read stalling post by jakprince in 6.5L forum

FYI - You can use these forums as handy reference - 6.2L and 6.5L problems are similar, so scan down each 'index' of posts for similar problems and resolution.Edited by: gmctd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is good, and it all makes sense, as it is running like it should with the pump on the retartded side, right where it is at (has about a 1/3 inch off from lines matching on the retarded side) but the thing that makes no sense that the pump is rotated as far advanced as it goes! It is like it is really retarded to retarded, instead of retarded/advanced like it should, and no mismatch or jumps of gears/chains would cause the line reletivity to change. It is like those groves on the pump that the studs on the cover go through, are machined in the wrong location. If they were only a little longer I could rotate it so the lines would atleast line up. That is why I am wondering if this is the wrong pump or something cause it sure seems like it. The line on the cover is right in the center, and it seems to be correct as it is running as it should with where it is at.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Each inj pump is 'indexed' to the timing cover as it is installed and timed on each engine.

Timing index tool is assembled to timing cover studs.

Index mark on any one timing cover may be close to any another, but mark on pump is according to internal mechanical tolerance for that pump, and as such will seldom match any other pump.

And, replacement pump installer could have off set by one tooth, or timing chain slack is 4-6degrees off.

If engine runs well, you would need to advance pump, rotate to driver's-side, as chain stretches, so it's ok as is.

Just scribe new mark on pump to match timing cover index.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have it rotated as far advanced as it will go, but it is still retarded -- runs clean on cold start, but as soon as cold advance turns off, billows out lots of white smoke until engine is hot. There is a lot more power if the cold advance is hot wired to be on all the time too. When cold, with the cold advance on, there is no smoke at all, and the engine fires right up, no cranking at all other than like 1 or 2 revolutions.

I will see if I can get a picture, but basically the line on the pump is still on the passenger side (runs like any other 6.2 I dealt with if the line was there too)

I described it to a diesel injection place in town and they could not figure it out. It is definately unusual.

So you are saying they put it a tooth off, and stamped it as if it is timed okay?

Should I just move it a tooth off and re-stamp it? How much does one tooth off do (especially in distance relative to orig. position for same timing - I need a half-inch's worth just for the lines to line up.)Edited by: mebonty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts