Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will an old or bad steering shock cause the steering to have play or feel sloppy?

I still have the original steering shock on my truck and was wondering if this is something that needs to be replaced ever so often or just when it goes bad.

How can I tell if it needs replaced?

Who makes good a good steering shock...bilstien?

Anyone willing to share a troubleshooting check list to identify the source of play in the steering on a 95 K2500 Sub?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
That's a good question. I seem to have a little drifting in my front end, and was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You have a steering stabilizer?? Anyway, no it shouldnt cause any sloppiness or play, its just there to compensate for bad front end geometry(if it were left off the front tires could go into a death shake) Its hard to explain but usually they are used when not a lot of caster is used.. Think of the rake of a chopper compared to a sportbike, the chopper is long and has a huge rake and this keep it stabilized (or call it caster) A sportbike is very twitchy because of its geometery.. Basically thats all that stabilzer is there for, and yea they do wear out after a while.. I assume you checked all other steering components and even suspension components? Thats where i would look first.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a steering stabilizer?? Anyway, no it shouldnt cause any sloppiness or play, its just there to compensate for bad front end geometry(if it were left off the front tires could go into a death shake) Its hard to explain but usually they are used when not a lot of caster is used.. Think of the rake of a chopper compared to a sportbike, the chopper is long and has a huge rake and this keep it stabilized (or call it caster) A sportbike is very twitchy because of its geometery.. Basically thats all that stabilzer is there for, and yea they do wear out after a while.. I assume you checked all other steering components and even suspension components? Thats where i would look first.
I'm not exactly sure how to check the other components or which ones to check first. How do I check the Idler and Pitman arms on this vehicle? What to look for?

Spitz wrote>You have a steering stabilizer??

Is that what I called a steering Shock? If so, Yes.

The sloppiness seems like it appeared all of a sudden.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jack the front end up untill the tires are off the ground then grab either wheel and pull back and forth ( like the steering does ). If you have excessive play than your pitman and idler are the most probbable cause. They are often over looked because they are hard to gease and if you don't they wear out quickly. I found this out first hand with my C3 I had b4 this truck. This is also my first post so hello everyone

ps I LOVE THIS SITE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jack the front end up untill the tires are off the ground then grab either wheel and pull back and forth ( like the steering does ). If you have excessive play than your pitman and idler are the most probbable cause. They are often over looked because they are hard to gease and if you don't they wear out quickly. I found this out first hand with my C3 I had b4 this truck. This is also my first post so hello everyone

ps I LOVE THIS SITE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts