Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dmaxallitech or other experts,

What does it take to convince you that shocks are bad? After reading posts here I pulled rear shocks and when they were compressed it would take 45 seconds to expand. Service manager said they weren't bad, couldn't be bad at this mileage, you name it. Bought Bilsteins instead, but don't understand what it takes to prove they are bad.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't see what it would matter. Even if the service guy said they were bad he would give you the same stock POS shocks. Your far better off with the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I replaced my oem's with Bilsteins about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I compressed the rear shocks and they are still compressed today. I wonder if that mechanic would say mine were okay too?
I had less than 18k miles on my truck. POS shocks is right!

I love my bilsteins!!!!! The truck never rode so well!

KevinEdited by: Fireman

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
usually wont take a shock off to check it when servicing. Usually a leak or damage would be the first tip that there need to be replaced. ALso a noise could be something. Even if one was found to be bad, your only getting one under warrenty. Best bet is the Bilstiens

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Topgas,
I gave 240 plus 8 shipping. I think it was 4x4 warehouse. Took the cheaper shipping option and the guy said 3 days, it took close to a week with the weekend but they were easy to install.
Yes, I'm glad I went with Bilsteins. I initially started the thread for people that might not want to pay for new shocks on a new truck and I was wondering how they could get them replaced. It was a hassle and they still wouldn't admit they were bad with them in their hands.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Cupping of the tire tread is another sign of a bad shock.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Eric is right, we won't remove them to inspect them. If they are not leaking here's how GM says we check them.

1. <LI =1>Use your hands in order to lift up and push down each corner of the vehicle 3 times.
    <LI =1>Remove your hands from the vehicle.
    <LI =1>Locate a shock or strut that exceeds 2 cycles. </LI>

·
Registered
909 Posts
Even in perfect condition, the OEM shocks were a bad fit for our HD suspension. They are sloshy both in turns and over bumps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts