Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bosch has announce the closing of their diesel fuel injector plant in Grand Rapids, MI and is moving production to Brazil. This is only one year after they took full ownership from Penske.

Anyone think this will improve injector quality?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I think it will be irrelevant .... What is sad is more lost jobs for the US economy....... The hemorrhaging best stop soon or we're in big trouble ....

Mac

·
Registered
365 Posts
Didn't know they were in Grand Rapids. That's an area where the injectors can be had at a more reasonable price.

Wonder if ALL Bosch injector production for all brands came from there?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mackin said:
I think it will be irrelevant .... What is sad is more lost jobs for the US economy....... The hemorrhaging best stop soon or we're in big trouble ....

Mac

Thats the sad truth! When are we going to wake up and do something about this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree this is sad but, what can we really do? It is not like we can refuse to buy the product. Trust me, I used to work in a Harley shop as a mechanic when I was in college. Go to their parts room and pick up some parts and tell me how much of that bike is really made in the US. Not much of anything seems to be made here anymore

·
Registered
432 Posts
Other than the loss of jobs the good news is the injectors should be cheaper as a result. The reason jobs are being lost overseas is the cost of production is less. So much less that they can afford to ship the product and still produce it cheaper. Quality is an issue that can be transferred anywhere if they do it right.

Carrier just announced the closing of their plant in Syracuse, NY, loss of 1500 jobs, everything is moving to Singapore in a new fully automated factory. The Syracuse plant has been there for 100 years.

It's a global economy now, goods are produced anywhere in the world and shipped in for consumers. Consumers need to find other lines of work, manufacturing is going to be lost in the USA due to high cost of materials and labor. It's bad, but gonna keep happening.

Funny aspect is it is happening overseas as well, Used to get stuff from Japan and Korea, but as the cost of living increased in those countries the manufacturers kept moving to lower cost countries like Indonesia, India, South America, Mexico etc. Now it's China that is growing fast and taking in most of the manufacturing processes, eventually their standard of living will increase and the process will keep moving, maybe it will come full circle and back to the USA when the rest of the world catches up to our standard of living (or we sink to theirs).

At some point in the process if everyone survives without fighting over raw materials, everyone in the world will be equal and have the same standard of living and then what do we do? Not in my lifetime, but eventually it will happen unless we destroy each other. One thing I know is my DMAX will still be around and running strong! LOL ha ha ha

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
511 Posts
....or we sink to theirs...

Thats the harsh reality.

What we need to do is get our leaders to act and impose monster tarriffs. Ya, stuff will cost more, but people will have jobs to pay for it too..

I know. Its a lost cause. Nafta etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I hope the overseas outsourcing comes back to bite every company doing it in the a#%. If US companies keep it up it will only be a matter of time as everyone in the US will be jobless and have no money to buy anything! Should be a freakin law againt it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been involved with 3 companies that have moved manufacturing operations to Singapore.

In none of those three cases did it have anything to do with the cost of labor. Less than 8% of the cost of our product is direct labor. Having taxes eat up more than 30% of our earnings in the U.S. was a much bigger expense. The Singaporean government enticed us with very favorable tax incentives.

Makes me wonder about the wisdom of taxing business in general. I mean, do businesses really pay taxes? Or do they just pass them along in the form of higher prices for products and services? What do taxes do to the competitiveness of American businesses?

Every time I hear some politician talk about "corporate welfare" I think about this.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
tophog your truck is sharp. I looked at your truck at your site. Where did you get the lights for your running boards. I have the Bully bars and I think the lights might look goods glowing off the stainless steel (chrome) I am sure those are not the parts house typical runnig board lights.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Chevysrus said:
Carrier just announced the closing of their plant in Syracuse, NY, loss of 1500 jobs, everything is moving to Singapore in a new fully automated factory. The Syracuse plant has been there for 100 years.

I had no idea... that's sad. I remember when I was in Syracuse back in the mid 90's I was amazed at how big the Carrier plant was.

I have to believe that part of the blame for the movement of manufacturing jobs goes to the high cost associated with the unions, the wages and benefits they force employers to pay, and the corruption that reaps inside. It's a vicious cycle.. (but I don't want to get into politics).

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Manufacturing is the backbone of every economy .... If we don't produce a durable good and attempt an economy based on retail, food services or dry cleaning and assembly there will be No America as we know it today ...

We are domed that is the harsh reality ....

As people continue to lose jobs our quality of life and standards suffer .... I have to ask what jobs out there will support a family with the cost of health and well being ?? If there are so many jobs why is the unemployment so high and people fear the lose of there present job ??

What has put us in this position is the fastest growing industry today in the US ,the government .... Taxes are at an all time high as people in government whether federal to local aren't at the same standard as the average tax paying citizen ....

Local municipalities and state government run on a blank check policy and isn't ran like a true business like I have to ,every thing must balance .... This leads to astronomical taxes ....That leads to business relocating thru out the US and globally eventual ...

We're in trouble people, something needs to be done ....

Don't sit back and say what can I do ....

Speak out and most important vote in every election it's your constitutional right ....

Lok at the candidates views and platform ...

Global economy fine but it must be balanced .....

Mac

·
Registered
20 Posts
This thread has taken an interesting twist and I thought I'd chime in. There have been many good points made in this discussion. It is extremely upsetting to me to read the paper daily and see the U.S. loosing jobs to overseas manufacturing facilities. The sad part is many of us have funds invested (401k etc.) in the very companies which are sending work overseas.

In the big picture I don't think this is going to change for a long time. Our elected leaders are pushing it. I just wonder, when the majority of the population is earning minimum wages, who is going to pay the taxes and buy Duramaxes?

My children are at a point in their life where they are choosing their future occupation--I encourage them to seek jobs which cannot be exported. I've worked in the steel industry for 27 years and I know my days are numbered. What is happening to our country is very sad indeed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes our situation is sad but predictable. We're only following the route of every superpower that's ever exsisted. We're in the military cycle right now........over spending and thats what will get us in the end. Our little French leader long ago did the same thing. Our planet will not support all this anyway. Enjoy it while you can.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Exporting jobs is a dirty little secret that companies don't talk about. Just about every company I've worked for funneled jobs overseas. And it's not just blue-color jobs, its all engineering fields minus civil, manufacturing jobs, management jobs, and even some law jobs.

The recent economic downturn was a blessing in disguise to these companies by replacing well paying jobs for a fraction of the cost. Many of these benefitting countries have no EPA, no healthcare, no unions, no retirement plans, etc. Is it a coincidence that this is a jobless recovery?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I feel your pain guys, we vendor stuff out where I work and then act suprised when we have quality problems. BTW, don't worry Topgas the Lord's comming back long before this planet gives up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Tax reductions help out economy in many ways. You guys have just discussed one that is major on the business level. Funny how reducing taxes is an incentive for business which prospers and generates greater tax revenue, albeit at the reduced levels.

Interesting how Russia now has a flat tax ala Steve Forbes and we have a graduated tax ala Karl Marx.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Chevys,

The major reason for the exports is corporate profitability. That money doesn't easily find it's way back to us but more often goes to corporate bonuses, buying up other corporate assets, dividends, etc. Sad but true.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
any company that has moved out of the states is only in it for themselfs,products are not cheeper only harder to get parts for .this has been going on in farming ever since nafta.the only change to consumers is if its not grown here you may get sick,dont let the u.s.d.a. sticker fool you,they might chech 1 load out of 100 get the results back in two weeks , by then the produce is at its final resting place after your done eating the unregulated chemicals

1 - 20 of 49 Posts