Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was there buying an oil filter. I asked the parts guy if they have been replacing any injectors on the duramax's. He said tons of them. More then oil filters he said. Neither they nor GM can keep them in stock. I asked what years and he said 02/03 at 30K miles to 50K.

Man that is not what I wanted to hear him say.

So I guess its more than .000001% of the trucks huh?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I don't see a GM Diesel in your signature so I don't believe you have anything to worry about?

BTW... I have an 01 with 62,000+ miles on it. No injector problems.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got an 03 d/a with 8k so far.

Hey Hoot what miles did ya have when you put the fuel filter on your truck. Mine will have it by next weekend (aprox 8500 miles). If you were running oem you might have had a problem.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed the sig thingy...Edited by: problemchild

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Great!

I put the filter on I believe when it was in the 40,000 mile range.

You need to just drive and not worry. Like the other guys said..... there are more people out there enjoying these trucks without problems than that dealer you talked to knows about.

Now go talk to the Ford and Dodge dealerships..

Guess what? Ask them how many people brought there trucks in to tell them how perfect they were?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I worked for a body shop at a GMC dealer, and they had 1 in for injectors since the Duramax came out. Drive it and forget about it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
my friends neighbor is a mechanic at a chevy dealer and we were all out side talking. i was asking about his new 04 2500 Crew cab. anyways he saw my truck and was tellling me that they are swamped with injector problem and there dealership. he said they are coming in like no other. thats why he got a gasser and not the diesel. and he isn't the first i have heard this from too. so it is a big problem and i am worried

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brother-in-law's sister's cousin's best friend's father's neighbor works at a McDonalds next door to a GMC dealer. He has never seen them change an injector.

·
Registered
391 Posts
problemchild said:
I was there buying an oil filter. I asked the parts guy if they have been replacing any injectors on the duramax's. He said tons of them. More then oil filters he said. Neither they nor GM can keep them in stock. I asked what years and he said 02/03 at 30K miles to 50K.

Man that is not what I wanted to hear him say.

So I guess its more than .000001% of the trucks huh?

***SOUNDS LIKE THE PARTS GUY WAS BEING A SMART ASS.***

·
Registered
260 Posts
My brother-in law is a mechanic at a dealer in Ohio and they have not had any in for injectors. The only thing they've really had problems with is the AC and power extend mirrors.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Problemchild,
Chill brother, this is a place where people bring there problems. If you look very few people actually have injector problems, but when these problems arise they get beat to death. I'm not saying that there's no problems out there, just very few. I know a bunch of guys where I live that have never been on here and have no problems. I've talked at length with four dealers in my area about injectors and not one of them has seen an injector problem on a Duramax. The best thing you can do is be careful where you buy your fuel. The next thing is add another fuel filter. Secondary filtration will help you and your truck. It'll help your truck by giving it cleaner fuel to burn and keeping crap out of the injectors and other fuel system components. It'll help you by giving you piece of mind that you're giving the engine cleaner fuel and therefore reducing wear in the fuel system.
So get your choice of secondary filter installed and rest easy...

Ox

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Bigbobed,

Which McDonald's does your brother-in-law's sister's cousin's best friend's father's neighbor work at? My ex-wife's husband's little brother's cousin's friend's enemy works at one too. Maybe they know each other? Anyway, I'll ask him if he saw an injector anywhere near there.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That is too funny!!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Problemchild

Clean fuel is the key to injector longevity, get you another filter and install. There are many out there to chose from (cat-standyne-mega-racor) that will do the job for you. Nictane has a unit that comes with all that is needed to do the installation correctly and uses a caterpillar filter that is cheap and can be purchased at any cat dealer and most truck stops. After you get it installed have your fuel tested (avlube) to make sure the fuel is OK.

Then drive the Hell outa it an feel safe (just my 2 pennys worth)

Geno

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Hoot

Changed my oem filter at 7000 an that thing was beyound filthy. I see why all the filter discussion in prior threads an on the other page. IT had no rust but was black, an I get my fuel at major truck stops. Gonna get a sample kit from George M to make sure the new system is doing it's job.

Geno

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think only GM knows the magniyude of the injector problem. It would be interesting to know, but I doubt we ever will, short of a court ordered release of information. Might be interesting to know if the problems are clumped in areas, as that might indicate fuel problems.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Horse Trainer said:
... Might be interesting to know if the problems are clumped in areas, as that might indicate fuel problems.
I too, think that it would be interesting to know where the problems are coming from, and to see if they are somehow "isolated" in areas.

I asked the last time that I was in at my dealer, and they indicated that they had not done any (or very few), BUT I did NOT talk to the tech. I talked to his wife (she works there as a service writer), and they own a Dmax, so I thought she would tell me if there was a problem...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Tom

I installed a lift pump at the time I added the extra filtration. I also feel that cavitation has something to do with the problem also cause my engine runs smoother and quiter ( It may be wishful thinking on the quiet side but wife says it seems quieter to her). I set the pressure at 1lb and at 3000 rpm its at 1/2 lb. This should keep all the air out of the system keeping the injectors full of fuel, what do you think?

Geno

·
Registered
363 Posts
Geno - If you are talking to this Tom, I want to know what you are using for a lift pump, as I want to do the same thing. I live at 6000', and the pressure drop from the suction of the injection pump could let a lot of entrained air escape into the system. I am not sure what effect this would have on the injectors, or even if the air could get through the OEM filter in small bubbles. In any case, can't believe a lift pump to be a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts