Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I managed to get to the driver side motor mount a while back but now this is easy with the fenders, core support, radiator, batterys, kitchen sink out. Snapped this pic to help people see and understand why stuff hits the frame or doesnt clear or fit.

Turbo side motor mount seemed quite a challenge before not so now. You can see that the metal inserts on the turbo side must be in full contact with the shells. Will post pics later when this guy is out.
IMG_8313.jpg
IMG_8312.jpg

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
What's your question about poly - do you mean polyurethane as replacements?

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Do a search and make sure you get the right poly mounts, if you order the ones for a 6.5 you will get the wrong ones, if I remember right you need the ones for a 2wd 454, DO NOT use aftermarket mounts, I had to change mine twice.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
What's your question about poly - do you mean polyurethane as replacements?
I don't believe there's a question, just a picture showing a worn out OEM and a new poly.
I did an extensive part number search when I did mine and the replacement inserts were 454 BB ones, and I can't remember much more. I don't believe I found a replacement mount, just the insert, but the clam shells rarely wear out and are easy to change. IIRC from a recent thread, the BB ones are just a bit longer, but are lot heavier.

Reactions: niteflite1287

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, No questions here. Just really surprised when I noticed what a bad motor mount does for engine location. After seeing pics of what the aftermarket mounts look like on the inside I would never consider having one. Energy Suspension (hard to tell with all my paint) mount inserts are the way to go! They fill the entire mount shell!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I don't believe there's a question, just a picture showing a worn out OEM and a new poly.
I did an extensive part number search when I did mine and the replacement inserts were 454 BB ones, and I can't remember much more. I don't believe I found a replacement mount, just the insert, but the clam shells rarely wear out and are easy to change. IIRC from a recent thread, the BB ones are just a bit longer, but are lot heavier.
I took the VS. part as a question, I guess.?.

I was going to say, if so, I have put a few sets of Energy Suspension polyurethane units on my Camaros and one or two Impalas. So, gas vs. diesel, but still poly mounts.

I like that they will basically last forever, look much better, and are completely resistant to oil and all of the other chemicals that find their way to the mounts.

HOWEVER nothing is free. They do transfer quite a bit more of the engine movement back to the frame. IF the engine is fairly smooth, it's almost not noticeable. I would wonder about them being "uncomfortable" in diesel use?

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
HOWEVER nothing is free. They do transfer quite a bit more of the engine movement back to the frame. IF the engine is fairly smooth, it's almost not noticeable. I would wonder about them being "uncomfortable" in diesel use?
That comment has come up a few times, more so when the transfer case/ transmission are done as well.
Jury is still out on it, some people have said it made a big difference in vibrations, and I think most said it wasn't much of an issue. It is something to think about before doing. But in the case of OEM style replacement 6.5 mounts, very few seem to last for anything close to being reasonable, so poly is probably the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the "out" pics...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
What's the Energy PN you used, and what was the source/cost?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Motor mount pics

I took a few pics of some of the mounts I had bought...
One of the sets was from wrong advice, another set I had picked the wrong ones myself, the correct set I had called Energy Suspension directly and was given the correct number.

1st set are 3.1116
2nd set are 3.1121
3rd set are 3.1152

The 3.1152's ARE the correct 6.2 / 6.5 / 7.4 mounts

Attachments

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,077 Posts
Excellent info. Added to the 6.2 and 6.5 FAQ's

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Amazon appears to be the cheapest source at $30ea today, but they don't think it fits my truck. I trust you more than them, though. ;) But you could be the first to write a review there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhh thats why they didnt fit well. I ordered the engine and transmount kit 3-1131 kit from summit which had the 3-1121 motor mounts for a 305/350 engine. I had to take them to a bench grinder to make them fit in the shells. If I had to do it all over I would order the 3.1152s and the 3.1129 trans mounts separately.

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Let's take the Truck!
5,651 Posts
Wish I would have checked this before I ordered the part number suggested on one of this sites sponsors website :whistle: I ordered the 3.1116 mounts which are too short for the 6.5 mounts. Im ordering the 3.1152 mounts now. :coffee:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts