Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend with a 24 Valve, getting code 1688 Internal Injector Pump Control Failure. He cracked an injector and bled some air out of the line. Truck wont start but he is seeing unburnt fuel from his exhaust pipe. Anyone have any insight to what is wrong? I think bad injector pump but I know nothing about the cummins.
thanks
Jake

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone anyone bueller bueller

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check the fuel pressure, but it sounds like the Vp (Injection pump) has gone south. The lift pump is probably dead as well. This is a common problem in the 98.5-02 24v engines. What year is the truck? How many miles? It still may under the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Buckshot. I believe its is a 98.5 and it has about 80,000miles on it. Although, I do not know what the standing is on his warranty as he just bought the truck about a month ago from his grandfather.
thanks for you time and insight
Jake

·
Registered
183 Posts
Warranty is probably gone. But with the problems that DC has had with these things, he might be able to get some goodwill assistance? Its worth asking about, the worse they'll say is no. If he has to buy it, I would recommend the Hotrod Vp with a FASS II fuel system upgrade for the liftpump.

Tye

1 - 5 of 5 Posts