Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think I might have a bad one. I posted last week about having a small oil leak up front drivers side, so I took my truck in this afternoon to have it looked at,also told the service manager about the smoke during heavy acceleration. He thinks it might be a bad injector, I gotta drop it off in the morning , they are going to run diagnostics on the injectors. Worst part about it is my truck only has over 5000 mi, bone stock.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Like a rock.......

yeah right

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Have you tried the droplet of oil on a paper towel to see if Erl is present in your crankcase .... If it is a leaking injector causing a leak thats seen in the front of your engine then the assumption must be it's crankcase vent associated or oil dilution ....

What color smoke are you seeing ?? My money it's something else not an injector ....

Mac

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mac,,, its a brownish color. I thought that it might have been soot build up, but ibe been noticing it more and more, I havent tried the paper towel trick . what do I look for,

·
Registered
692 Posts
yep the paper towel trick is also gm way to check pull the dipstick dab a drop oil oil on white paper towel
diesel fuel will run faster than oil. also check if you say the oil is left front check of the front diff breather cap to be lose and leaking i have seen this alot in our dealer in the past 3-6 weeks

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
how exactly does that work? I would have thought that the diesel and oil would mix. So basically if there is fuel in the oil you will see a clear spot on the paper towel bleading faster then the dark colored oil? Or am I way out to lunch

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Max Power said:
how exactly does that work? I would have thought that the diesel and oil would mix. So basically if there is fuel in the oil you will see a clear spot on the paper towel bleading faster then the dark colored oil? Or am I way out to lunch

My question exactly

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
They mix, but they also don't - kind of like Italian dressing
, the "lighter" diesel will absorb faster into the paper towel than the engine oil. You should get a ring effect that's pretty pronounced, a lighter shadow of the diesel spreading further than the darker splotch of the oil.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I dropped the truck off this morning, I didnt have a chance to do the drop the oil on the paper towel trick, ill be in touch with the dealer this afternoon to hear the results. One thing I will say is that my dealership is top notch, they set me up with a brand new 04 sierra,not diesel though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts