Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Olds minivan back from the dealer for stuff not related to the engine or fuel. Filled it up and about 10 miles later it was bucking like a PBR bull. I figured it must be water in the gas. A bottle of Heet didn't help at all. I'm now on my 5th tank after it started. I changed the fuel filter and ran the tank down really low before filling each time. It's still doing it. Not as often but just as bad when it does. Every tank has been from a different station so the likelyhood of bad gas at every station is pretty slim. I'm beginning to think ignition not bad gas. Any ideas?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
If it happened all the sudden after fillup I'd suspect a fuel problem too. You've done a fuel filter, we can rule that out, maybe something got into the injectors, so maybe an injector flush will help. I'm assumeing no codes. If it is spitting and sputtering on accell, maybe an igntion problem (plugs, wires, coil) or sensor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
[useless post]

Yeah, I agree, it sound electrical to me.

[/useless post]

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Fuel floats on top of the water so you have to completely drain the tank or put a sh*t load of drygas in to handle all the water. The drygas will make the water and fuel miscable so you can burn it.

You could disconnect a fuel line and turn the ign. key on (without starting) and let the fuel pump drain the tank as much as possible. There will still be a few gallons left at the bottom. Try using a siphon hose to get the rest out.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
681 Posts
You need to hook it up to a scan tool and check for codes.
What did the dealer do to it? Maybe some connector didn't get hooked back up all the way?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't messed with it nor have I taken it to the dealer. The last time it was in for a brake problem and heated seat element. They shouldn't have needed to open the hood.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had a " loss of power and rough running engine "

It was dirt in fuel tank, got a bad load of gas, should have
known when filling, punp went very slow than stopped.

The " sock " was plugged with silt, lost fuel pressure
as I drove. ( could also be bad fuel pump )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts