Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I have a suspension lift and did not have my torsion bars lowered. This is not intelligent, but what is done is done.

ANyway, I was out screwing around today, doing some boosted launches...I have tie-rod sleeves, but after a boosted launch my steering wheel was extremely crooked. Is this from suspension torque? Any ideas on what might cause the alignment to be off after a hard boosted launch?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
With the extra strain on the front end of your truck with a lift One Tall, I don't see a Super Diesel center-link being a bad investment on your truck.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I have been meaning to get one. However, why would it throw the alignment off with a boosted launch?

·
Registered
575 Posts
you must have bent something or at the minimum shifted something pretty good.Does the truck track straight and true or does it pull /wander now.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The Tie rod's are the weakest link. Sleeves or beefer rods are a must.Or race with the plow on :D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
He has the sleeves already Mackin, it's hard to tell what might be moving around in there with the t-bars up, and the center-link not strapped down. The pitman arms could be worn some and with him doing boosted launches it is magnifying the wear? A combonation of things along with the lift to take into consideration on this one.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That's odd. I also have a 6" lift on my truck with over 400 boosted launches. Only problem I ever had was the power steering shaft snap. Keep us up to date on what the problem was.

Nick

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the second time it has happened after a boosted launch. The truck will hop and jump across the road/lane and be really squirrly. When I let off, it tracks just fine but the steering wheel is crooked. The last time it happened, I hit a bump in my driveway and the steering wheel straightened out.

Ideas?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The last time it happened, I hit a bump in my driveway and the steering wheel straightened out.

Ideas?
Almost sounds like something is lose,sounds dangerous.Maybe you should double check lift componets to be on the safe side

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mmmm, maybe I'll get it up on jack stands and check it out this weekend...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Yeah something must be loose somehow to shift the alignment twice. Looking at your truck you have pretty decent cv angles so not cranking it down shouldn't be so bad...

I've knocked my alignment out hitting a rut hard...

·
Registered
565 Posts
you might look at the back as well, when my rear axle sheared the leafspring tie bolt off it made the steering wheel twist.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll know more tomorrow, hopefully! It is at the dealer right now and they are suppose to know what's going on in the morning.

·
Registered
809 Posts
not sure if I am following you here. Does the steering wheel stay crooked until you let off the go pedal or stay crooked even after you return the frontend to an unloaded condition like 2 wheel drive and just driving normally.
If it just crooked while you are launching until you get out of it and return to 2 wheel its probably just torque steer, if it stays crooked until you hit a bump or something else you probably have worn out idler and pitman arms or perhaps a bent centerlink(although this would seem to make it impossible for it to return to a normal condition)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
This is the second time it has happened after a boosted launch. The truck will hop and jump across the road/lane and be really squirrly. When I let off, it tracks just fine but the steering wheel is crooked. The last time it happened, I hit a bump in my driveway and the steering wheel straightened out.

Ideas?

I no what it is i just cant remember the name it is a worn out __________
I think pitman arm?? Anyways its in the front suspension linkage.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought pitman and idler arm as well. The steering wheel will be knocked crooked and remain there even in 2wd and no load. When I hit a big bump, it goes back fairly straight.

They are giving me some crap about the lift and warrenty, but hopefully it will get resolved.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a call from my diesel mechanic today, pitman and idler arm it is!

Now the screwed up part...dealer won't cover it. My mechanic went to get the part and the service writer wouldn't give them to him:mad:

He said I caught the wrong service guy on the wrong day.

-:t

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What dealer was that at?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer in IL...the mechanic is a great guy and actually pulled and installed my new tranny (not at the dealer, obviously) but he said the service writer is being an A$$ today.

Please PM me with any suggestion in IA Jerry. I only have 20,000 highway miles on this thing!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts