Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I don't know how you guys do it! I had one of the worst starting experiences ever with the Max. I always plug the truck in and it has started great. The coldest so far has been about -10F, no problem when plugged in. Well I decided to test it's cold weather started ability and I was not impressed to say the least. I left it unplugged all night and into the morning. It was about -5 to -10F at night, but it warmed up to about 0 in the morning, not that the engine warmed up yet. Anyway, I turn the key wait for the plugs to warm up and hit it. It sputtered once and then cranked and cranked and cranked, no start
. I cycled the plugs again, hit the key, one sputter, then crank and crank. I started cycling the plugs two or three times before cranking this time but no apparent help finally after about 10 minutes of cycling and cranking it finally started on a few cyclinders
, smoke like wild, and sounding like some D8R Cats we have at work. I didn't think it was gonna start before the batteries died. I also learned that if it did not start after the first sputter, further cranking would do no good until the plugs were cycled again.

I know many of you start these engines unassisted in temperatures down to -20F or more. All I can say is I must have a florida or cali D-max because mine doesn't like the cold. It is a balmy +30F today and I'm even scared of that after this past weekend. I know it will start fine today, I have even started it in the teens and sometimes high single digits without too much trouble but this start was really ugly!

Just wanted to vent my concerns and see if anyone else ever had this type of starting problems in -10F mild temperatures. I guess I will just have to plug her in all the time and forget about these experiments. Also, I am running Total Power fuel additive and Winter blend diesel, so I'm sure that fuel gel was not a problem. Thanks Guys.

Jason A.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Interesting. Mine starts so good that I can't even imagine what you are saying. Perhaps mine starts better because it is a tough canadian truck.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I can't lend any technical help in this case however, I can say my experience has not been the same. Last winter I was working at plant commissioning and my truck sat out all day at -20°C and for 15 plus hours - no plug in. When I went to start it it was now -28°C (-18°F) and I hadn't had a chance to dump the 15w40 oil/tar in the crank-case. Cycled the heaters 3 times before start-up, cranked over about 4 to 5 revolutions and a way she went 1st time. It sure huffed and puffed and popped for the 1st 10 or 15 seconds but then it smoothed out like normal.

I don't know if your truck would throw any codes if the heaters weren't working properly. It seems to me as well that there are two separate preheating systems, grid/intake heater and then glow-plugs as well. Some one who knows for sure should confirm this however.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
That wouldnt have happened if you were using Primrose 409. I was in montana for xmas and camping in yellowstone. I had no heater.

I started my truck down to -3 with no problems at all. Turn the key, warm glows, fires right up. It does smoke a little when cold but they all do.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had to start the truck in -2f conditions a few weeks ago when we had a cold snap come through. My truck had no problems starting the first try, no synthetic, no fuel additive, no problems. But it did smoke for a while though!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
about 10 starts bewteen 4-10 degrees and starts right up everytime.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine starts right up when cold, but she runs a bit rough and fogs out the neighborhood!!
Once she gets some heat in her though, she smoothens right out and runs like a champ!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Fin-Addict said:
Mine starts right up when cold, but she runs a bit rough and fogs out the neighborhood!!
Once she gets some heat in her though, she smoothens right out and runs like a champ!
My truck was smoking and running a tad rough on 15 degree mornings until I started adding stanadyne performance formula. I double dosed it the first tank - runs much smoother and quieter now. I wonder how much of the smoothness was due to cleaning the injectors and how much is due to cetane boost. Either way, I like it.

jeff

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been using the Power Service additive. I bought it before I found this site, but I think I'm going to switch to the Primose once I use up what I've got.

·
Registered
391 Posts
PROBLEMCHILD, you
look different.or is that just a avatar change

·
Registered
509 Posts
I use Rotella. First few days I had the truck it was down to -20F, not plugged in, started just fine. The pistons swap holes for the first few seconds then it smooths right out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine started at 20 below zero when I was at deer camp after sitting all week, Smoked A bunch but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One morning within the last week it got down to -9F very early in the am. My duramax fired right up with no hesitation at all, clattered just a little, and some light smoke at first. A guy leaving work at the same time with a F**d PS was not so lucky, he was adding either when I walked by. LOL! I was just about to say something to him about it and offer a jump but another guy with a chev 1500 offered him a jump and he accepted as I passed by them leaving the parking lot the guy was adding either again.

Engr. Bill

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ah, a Chevy guy helping a Ford guy out.

Feel the love

I have cold started mine as low as 8 deg F and it did run rough. I think the guys that have no problems run the glow plug through a couple a cycles to get the cylinders warm.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
DavesDmax said:
I think the guys that have no problems run the glow plug through a couple a cycles to get the cylinders warm.

Not me
Turn key, wait for glow plugs, crank.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Jason,

I didn't plug in during that cold spell we had last week either. It was a long crank to start it, ran rough for 15 secs or so and smoked up the yard, but nothing near like you had for starting problems.

Maybe a defective glow plug or two?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I am going to check out the heater grid and glow plugs just to make sure with the Predator but I'm sure their working fine. Funny thing happened recently also which I'm sure is unrelated, but I has the truck in the dealer recently for a window regulator failure and now my horn doesn't work, go figure!!
Must be job security or something. I don't have time to take it back right now so I'm without a horn, but Its hard to believe that it worked perfectly before I brought it in for the window. Whatever!!!

As for the cold starting I may try it again, but I can't really afford to not have it start, plus my neighbors don't really car to hear a diesel cranking at 530 am. I just can't believe it didn't start immediately!!
Keep the info coming I appreciate the input. Atleast now I have a semi-reason to buy a predator. I still plan on getting a Quad chip after the trans but that will be in the spring/summer depending on what Eric is offering at the time. I may just go for a Suncoast level V and let Eric put it in. Whatever, I started this post about bad cold starting and I'm the one jumping around, sorry!! Thanks Guys, Party On!!!

Jason

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Jason

No need to buy the Pred if you don't need it, we can make some plans and use mine to check your data. You can't install a tune obviously, but it's mine understanding I can read anyone's engine data.

Rick

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Red,

That was mostly the only reason I was buying it but I might want to try some tunes if I get it. I took off the juice for the snow, I can barely drive the truck with it. But I will definatly let you know, we should get together and shoot the breeze one of these days anyway. Thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch, one way or another.

Jason

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Hey forced.........

Why is it you wont run the fuel additive?
We give you the answer and no mention of it from you.
You can go to 25-30 below with 409.

Just wondering?????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts