Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i picked up a 2006 SLT ext cab which replaces a 2000 F350 V10. Overall the Sierra is much better truck but the Bose audio system sounds OK at best.

I've read posts about changing the amp to the lux amp and keeping the stock speakers. But I've also read that it's a little tricky to do as something needs a reflash or I would have to change the headunit. I'd rather skip all that.

So what if I just changed the speakers and left the amp? I did read that the Bose amp won't work well with non Bose speakers is that really true? Has anyone out there changed the speakers and found it to be a big improvement?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Censored Bose in my chevy is marginal at best.It sounds totally kick *** in my wifes Altima...Go figure.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Lux Bose rocks... Still needs a sub to compliment it in my opinion. Read up on the subject (changing out to luxury Bose amp), and then decide. I put a Hummer Navigation unit, a 6 CD changer and a Bose amp out of an Escalade in my truck, retaining my steering wheel controls.

This thread is a good start on what some of us here have done...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40437

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
change out the amp to a LUX amp, leave the speakers, and you will be happy! :)

C'mon...the Bose system HAS to beat the "stereo" in the Ford's right???

--Ben

·
Registered
13,596 Posts

--Ben
That it definately does.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
LUX Bose....yep.

I can turn it up to over 3/4 volume now....:thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

--Ben
Your right the Bose system sounds better than the stock Ford system did. But in the Ford I replaced the 4 speakers with 6 aftermarket speakers and the sound was very good.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i dont know why you guys spend so much money on the bose lux amps when you could just buy a more powerful better amp from a store and not even use the bose crap anymore

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I didnt spend a lot of money on my Bose lux amp.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
DURAtotheMAX maybe you didn't but i know alot of other that buy them of ebay or somewhere elso pay like 400 bucks that is alot when you could get a better amp for that price

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
DURAtotheMAX maybe you didn't but i know alot of other that buy them of ebay or somewhere elso pay like 400 bucks that is alot when you could get a better amp for that price
Aftermarket amp... Interface adapter, speakers, head unit, cd player... Should Ben or I go on? It was a reasonably priced way to do it... Like you say, $400. (now) for the mod seems steep. Try your local junkyard or stereo shop. Lux amps can still be had cheap ($150 range). I know, I've been helping friends out locating them.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
My gosh, I bought the amp in my truck for $100 not 6 months ago. I'm thinking of starting to go "yarding" again....:lol:

Dieselman....if you haven't heard a LUX NAV setup...you really can't talk about it. For the money involved, you can't beat it, and for $40 and another amp, you can put subs on it. C.A.P's NAV/Premium Bose/amp/subs sounds great....I don't know how or why...but it does.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
did the 2004 Denalis have them if they did i have heard them my parent just traded it in for a Z71 Tahoe
and where did you guys get them for 100 buck but the thing that is reallty expensive is the NAV system

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
did the 2004 Denalis have them if they did i have heard them my parent just traded it in for a Z71 Tahoe
and where did you guys get them for 100 buck but the thing that is reallty expensive is the NAV system
Those amps were going for less than $100 just this last summer, then the guy at the AVFanClub posted the swap into all the other trucks...instantly those amps turned to gold.

I bought mine at a boneyard for $100. I think about that now, and what a steal.

For the money..the sound + ease of install can't be beat.

Yeah, Chris...you got a special touch, but only your Mrs. knows for sure! :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
You're right. I didnt. I got two lux amps for 50 bucks. And another for 30. And another for 68.

And I have 3 more sitting at home...Im saving them for a day when I can name my own price...call me greedy, but its a good investment.:D

If you say that your parents Denali didnt sound good than you probably didnt have the adjustments set correctly. Trust me... I installed a Lux amp/nav unit in my dad's Tahoe (same size cabin as Denali) and it sounds EVEN BETTER than our crew cab trucks. I dont know why. Theres like 50 times more bass. Different shape of the cabin maybe? Im not sure...

I know lots of people will aruge with me till they turn blue in the face about "bose sucks yadayadayada" but I am very happy with my Lux system and I will stand behind it... So long as I dont need people 100 feet away to hear it, it sounds VERY good for a stock system. I can turn it up and my ears will hurt before it runs out of headroom, except if im playing a really "noisy and busy and LOUD" rock/punk music... IMO its one of the best stock stereo systems that I have heard in any vehicle, aside from the Mark Levinson system in my moms LS-430...

--Ben

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Mark Levinson The man:ro) , or the Madrigal audio group that is owned by Harmon International,:( It used to be Mark Levinson who made the amps that were stable into 1/2 an ohm :D , at the time the were very high end cutting edge , John Curl designed the famous ML9 mono blocks that were the staple of the late 70,s early 80,s ;) , Mark Levinson himself sold the name and company to the Madrigal audio group ,They then put out some good amps on his and Curl's original designs , the 20.1 the 23 and now the 333 . Madrigal in turn was bought by Harmon International . Now we have his name sake in car audio!!!!:mad: if Krell ever goes comercial Ill -:t . I have listened to the system and it does sound good though , Sorry Ben for going out in left field , I had not heard the Name in a while and it brought back memories:ro)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
no problem CAP! Thats all interesting info...yeah I do remember reading somewhere that the car audio Mark Levinson stuff (Lexus, I dont know if anyone else uses that name) is made by Harmon International. Its a very nice sounding system. Much more refined and "warmer" sounding than the Bose Lux system. It sounds "smoother" too. The front speakers do a lot of work too, where as on teh Bose lux system, the sub is so small that the crossover is really really high. The LS430 system has a pretty low crossover...a little bit too low IMO. The there is almost kinda a dead spot where the front door speakers cant quite hit low enough with authority, but the sub hasnt picked up yet. But wow, when that sub hits, it hits hard and warm and LOWWW. It might be that im used to the "crappy" Bose system in my truck, and the Mark Levinson system is how a good stereo SHOULD sound tho. It is very nice sounding IMO. And for 2006 they added a center channel (5.1) and threw in DVD-A, AC3, and DTS decoders!! My moms is a 2005, so it doesnt have that :( Still sounds good tho. XM sounds better in my moms car too than in my truck...

--Ben

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread but, If you talk to any hi end home stereo dealer/installer. They will tell you that bose is a complete joke. My brother works for Terra Nova here in Wisconsin, and every time someone even brings up the word bose, his boss laughs his a$$ off. There equipment is way over priced and quality is marginal at best.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts