Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search, and haven't been able to figure out if there is a good aftermarket warning sensor system out for sale.

Does anyone have any comments on a good system, and could they post info and pics?

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
subscribing. I would like to install some on the front bumper as well

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has to be a good aftermarket system out there. One crunched bumper would pay for the system many times over. Cheap insurance if I can find a good system.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am more worried about crunching a kid. But good point about the bumper as I have damaged at least one.
I have them on my Excursion and I know it has saved at least 2 peoples lives that my wife almost took out while backing out of parking spaces.

·
Registered
358 Posts
www.rearguard.com
I just checked their site and it sez "site under construction"
Good quality backup sensors with proximity display (displays distance to object). I've had one on my Dmax for about a year and really liked it. We also use them on all our electrical utility rigs at work as well. They have a sensor set up that attaches as a license plate frame.

Just the other day, I had a Pioneer AVIC-N2 installed with a rearview camera - very cool! In turn, I moved the rearguard sensor to the front to use the proximity display when I'm parking close to another vehicle etc.
The Rearguard cost quite a bit more ($200 I think) than some really cheap ones on Ebay, but it's a good quality product. For maybe about $150 more, you can purchase a rv rearview color camera with a 6.5" tft display. The problem is, where to mount the display. I got one and couldn't figure out a decent location for the display unit and finally resorted to a in-dash unit. It was a Christmas present to myself.
I've always worried about dingin' a bumper as well, the aft view is pretty terrible with the full size rigs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I installed a backup sensor kit today. I purchased the BackStopper (made by CrimeStopper - car alarm company) "Truck" kit from EBay. It seems well made and came with 4 sensors, brain, buzzer and led readout. My kit even came with a carbon tipped hole saw for the bumper. Drilled 4 holes (no problems) and ran the wires to one of the plugs under the rear carpet. The brain connects to the reverse lights which I connected at the trailer connection next to rear tire. While it took about four hours to snake all the wires and spilt-loom everything, it seems to work perfectly. Seems very sensitive - beeps slowly at about 3 feet, quicker till about a foot and solid tone less than 12 inches. All in all, I'm happy. I'll put a few pics up tomorrow. Drinking beer now!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the kit come with the hole saw, or was it included by the vendor? If vendor supplied, what vendor did you buy from? Very interested in seeing pics.

Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like a good kit!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Back Up Sensor Kit

I installed this yesterday and have gotten many PM's so I thought I'd do a slightly better job of describing my setup. I bought the "Backstopper CA-5005, Pickup Truck Kit" from Ebay. The vendor was DPCAuto2005. I paid $35 and have seen the kit locally in a stereo shop for $89. The item was exactly as described and he shipped it immediately. The hole saw comes as part of the kit from the manufacturer CrimeStoppers. While there are several different kits available, to include surface mount types, I ordered the more traditional "in the bumper" unit. The CA5005 came with 4 sensors, brain, led distance readout, beeper, ties, instructions, etc. I measured the bumper to have an equal distance for the sensors, crossed my fingers and drilled. The hole saw made quick, CLEAN work of cutting the holes in the chrome bumper. I did tape first but am not sure that made any difference. After cutting the holes, I ran the cables through and then cable ties and split-loomed the cables and ran them down the frame to a small punch-out under the rear floorboard. I cut a small hole there and ran the wires in through a gromet and sealed the hole. I placed the "brain" inside my underseat box - obviusly it could go virtually anywhere (it's about the size of a pack of smokes). While this was the pickup truck kit, the sensor leads had 6 feet of extra wire that I just zip ties inside the box. Guess there are some "Long" trucks out there... The kit has a beeper and an led readout. I used both. I placed the readout on the rear window, center just below the headliner. I placed the beeper on the rear box. It is plenty loud even over music. I backed out this morning and tested it with my car in the street. Perfect. The led is clearly visible in the rearview mirror, the beeper and led readout agreed. At the solid tone, I stopped the truck and measured about 9 inches to my car. It started beeping probably at just shy of 2 feet (give or take). Hope this clears my poor post from yesterday up. Happy to answer any questions as you all have given me so much help along the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Looks good. I am thinking of doing the same thing. Let me know how it is in rain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple of questions.

When you say you put the sensors equal distance apart, I assume you are refering to the right side spacing, vs. the left side spacing. With the opening in the bumper for the license plate area, all four sensors aren't placed an equal distance to each other are they?
Also, you said you placed the read out on the back window below the headliner. Did you run the wires through the headliner, and down a side post?
One more. Will the system work with just the beeper only, or do you need to have the read out connected to make it function?

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I placed the sensors an equal distance from eachother. While it is hard to tell from the picture, the inner two sensors are positioned just where the bumper starts to roll into the license area. This helps over-lap the sensor zone. It has some diagrams in the manual that make placement easy. You can use any combination of the led and/or beeper. At first, I did not plan to use the readout but after playing with it more and more, may end up enjoying it. I did run the wire into the headliner and down the trim for the door post.

Max Power - Does not rain much in Albuquerque but I'll pay particular attention when it does...

Take care!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Check these units out. Says it overcomes short comings of other units. A little pricey but, back into a Mazda Miata Censored (minimal damage-too short/small to see out the mirrors or back window) what you pay in insurance increase for three years would pay for it. Good luck on your selection.

http://www.sensetech.com/index.htm

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
subscribing. I would like to install some on the front bumper as well
The only way you could put one in the front bumper would be if you put a switch inline. The back up sensors are switched on by going into reverse, but if you didn't switch the front one's, everytime you pulled up behind someone they would be going off.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not a bad idea though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.