Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My owner's manual says to use B5 ULSD fuel. That is what is around here mostly. On a recent trip we went thru Amarillo and most stations had B20. I finally found one that had B10 and put in a tankful of that. Ditto on the way home. It didn't seem to have any obvious adverse affect. Is an occasional tank of B10 or B20 ok? A lot of pumps don't say diddly squat about Bx on them at all.

·
Premium Member
18,347 Posts
Repeated use of b10 or higher will damage the engine due to the way the DPF regeneration works.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Repeated use of b10 or higher will damage the engine due to the way the DPF regeneration works.
Thx, good to know. I wonder what all those LMM owners do in Amarillo if B5 is just about non-existent. It was tough finding B10 fuel. Odd thing is, Amarillo was the only place that we encountered this from Texas to Colorado.

·
Premium Member
18,347 Posts
If B10 or higher is used often, UOA's should be utilized, along with a shortened oil change interval.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I wonder what all those LMM owners do in Amarillo if B5 is just about non-existent. It was tough finding B10 fuel. Odd thing is, Amarillo was the only place that we encountered this from Texas to Colorado.
Id say the LMM users (in Amarillo, TX) dont you bio. Theyd use ULSD fuel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Id say the LMM users (in Amarillo, TX) dont you bio. Theyd use ULSD fuel.
Well, maybe I wasn't clear. There was no plain old ULSD or ULSD B5 to be found w/o some sort of extensive search. B20 just about everywhere along the I40 corridor, except I found some B10 after looking around a lot (with trailer in tow).

·
Registered
448 Posts
If my calculations are correct, and you are faced with wanting to decrease the ratio of B20, you would want to add 19.5 gallons of #2 if available, and add 6.5 gallons of B20 to achieve B5.

I've been told that adding the B5 ontop of the #2 will help the fuel mix better since the B5 is slightly heavier than #2.

Unfortunately, you said you can’t readily source #2.

We have yet to see this occur in Southern California but I wonder if it will be the trend in the future?

·
Registered
472 Posts
So if you have the DPF delete, is using B10 or higher still a problem?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think the biggest problem with biodiesel is due to the raw fuel injection into the cylinders during regen. Any biodiesel that gets past the rings into the crankcase will linger as opposed to dino diesel where the volatiles evaporate out when the motor gets up to temperature. In theory, if you do a DPF delete and program out the fuel injecting regen, biodiesel shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
916 Posts
On my journey that direction I noticed that just the Loves(think thats correct) had the B=10 and the other truck stops were reg #2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.