Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have seen a few posts on this, not many but a few. I am looking to put a fifth wheel hitch into my '04 Chev CC DRW D/A.

I have landed on the following two hitches:
- B & W Turn-over-ball hitch with the fifth wheel companion
- Reese Signature Series 18k (with undermount)

I am looking for anything good/bad about either of these. I am in a way particularly concerned with the companion part of the fifth wheel hitch on the B&W. Has anyone ever had any issues with this setup? Are there any significant "pro's" to the Reese Signature series hitch?

Pricing does seem to be much of a factor, while the B&W is slightly more expensive it is also more flexible. For me I do not need the gooseneck at this time, but it is a nice option to have. That having been said I do not want to be blind to any issues that it has.

I will also be mating this with a Tekonsha Prodigy controller. No real question here... the rave reviews on this and other web-site speak for themselves.

Thanks in advance!

Mike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a 16k reese in my dodge, good hitch but it creaked and poped. For my chevy I went with the B & W/ Companion and its rock solid at 80k miles. I pull RV's for a living....

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is my second truck with the B&W gooseneck/5th wheel Companion. It is built rock solid and gives you a nice flat bed when you are not using it. IMHO it is the best GN/5th set-up available.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
510 Posts
B&w & prodigy has worked well for me on my last two trucks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a b&w and have had zero problems, grease it well.
check my garage for pics of the size trailer

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reidscycle;1592575; said:
grease it well.
An interesting point. I believe I have one of those nylon (teflon?) plates. Will that work just as well or is grease really the only way to er... fly?

·
Registered
221 Posts
B&W companion hitch has worked good for me too, its nice in that you can take out the fifth wheel and drop in a ball for gooseneck, or just take everything out and there's nothing sticking out of the bed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it seems near unanimous: the B & W system is in high use and is working great for everyone. I look forward to having one installed in my truck!

Thanks to everyone who replied!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Is the Companion available separate if you already have the GN assy? Price?

If you have a drill and a ratchet you can install the GN part yourself. The only holes you have to drill are in the bed. Put the extra $$ in your pocket or sneak another toy for the truck past the boss.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
I think the 5th wheel companion is a bit over $600, it locks into the gooseneck hitch. The hitch is an all in one setup.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
$600+ what ever you would pay for the GN right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the signature series gooseneck and like it. You only have four small holes in the bed and is almost unnoticable when the unit is out. Haven't had any problems with the unit while pulling livestock trailer.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Turbotug;1597816; said:
$600+ what ever you would pay for the GN right?
Yep, the turnover ball/gooseneck system for $x00 + 5th wheel companion for $600ish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been toying with the idea of doing the install myself.... hmmm.... I do have a nice 3/8 torque wrench and good drill.

I am "handy" but just light house stuff. When it comes to drilling holes in my truck bed I am, well, hesitant. I read the instructions and it does seem to be pretty straight forward. The truck has the a factory bed liner (not spray in) and there is a comment on if the truck has a removable then be cautious with the side-to-side measurements.

Anyone have any tips on this install?

I don't want to screw this up. The post which had the comment about sneaking some additional stuff past the boss would not go over so well if I did a crappy job on the install!

:thankyou2 in advance!

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
I am going to install mine this week, myself. I'll try to take pictures and post them this week to help others.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I did mine in a couple of hours. It would have take way less if I had known ahead of time that a large number of my tools had been borrowed and not returned! The one tool I wish I would've brought home from the shop is my air ratchet, not a lot of room to swing a regular one. It really only requires a 3/4" & 5/8" socket and wrench, a 4" hole saw, 1/2" drill bit, and a larger socket that I can't remember the size of off hand, 1 1/8" maybe. FWIW chase the threads in the rear bar before you put it under the bed. I must have measured the spot for the big hole a dozen times! There is room for error front to back, but side to side needs to be real close.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, after much consideration, I am going just go ahead with the professional install. I could save myself $1-200 but being able to point the finger in a .. bad.. situation seems to me to be a good thing in this case.

Having it installed next weekend. Can't wait!

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
OK, installed my B&W turnover ball setup today.:cussing: That was a total PITA. I guess it would not have been so bad if I had help to hold heavy pieces in place, but the biggest problem I had was working around my Transfer Flow 45 gal replacement tank. That thing covers up a lot of area you need to work at. No biggie, it all got done, just took longer than I thought it would. I've got pics I'll post later.

I was happy on one other part too. You are suppose to cut your bed to help get 2 of the cross braces in, I decided to pull the bed bolts and lift the bed enough to get those pieces in. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
That middle piece is a heavy SOB.

I probably could have drop this little hint earlier too.

I kinda propped it up on top of the fuel tank and drive shaft, I have the Titan BTW and it was not noticeably in the way. Then from the top reached through the hole and looped the hooks of a tie down on the finger pin(?). Then with a length of pipe long enough to stretch across the wheel wells, I lifted the center section through the hole and flat to the bed. I put enough tension on the tie down to hold it in place yet could still maneuver it to line up bolts. For the bed part, I just took a small Cresent wrench and bent the lip up a touch, slid the bar in, and then bent it back down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hitch get's installed this coming week. I can't wait to pick the truck up. Just bought an Edge J/A combo unit. This summer is gonna be fun! <rubs hands anxiously>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts