Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the B&W turn over ball hitch installed on my truck with the idea that I'd also get one of the Companion fiver hitch adapters to go with it.

My question would be whether or not there is a difference in the design of earlier and later models?

IIRC, I read somewhere that the earlier models had some problems with dents in the bed of the truck due to lack of support from the Companion on it's corners where they contact the truck bed. So a change was made in the design to eliminate that.

Anyone know if this is true? If so, how do you determine if it's a new design or the old one? If you don't know about this question, could anyone suggest a good RV forum where I might ask the question?

The reason for all this is that I have an opportunity to buy one of these from a private individual and it's still in the boxes new. But if this was a problem, I don't want to be getting and older style.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Zeeb....

B&W changed their Companion 5th Wheel Unit almost a year ago so as to spread the base out a bit and to make it sit directly over the raised portion of the bed... I'll take a measurement tomorrow and add it to this post... I ordered direct from B&W... Hope this helps.........Triffid

The Companion 5th Wheel Unit is 36" wide overall with 5" wide flanges (2)... So it will come in contact with the bed floor from 26" to 36"... The flanges are 33" long...........Triffid

http://www.turnoverball.com/Edited by: Triffid

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Triffid,

I called B&W this AM and talked to them. Seems like the problem originated with the truck manufacturers changing the spacing on the raised sections of the truck beds. So B&W made the base section where it contacts the bed 3" wide instead of 2" wide.

The private individual I've been talking to has the older style. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know you could buy direct from B&W, and the price they gave me even with the freight was better than I've found locally so far.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
If u can get a good deal on the older one just weld on some 4 or 5" wide strap and cover an even larger area.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's a great sys. I bought mine mar of 03 direct from the factory. rode in the "02 dooley just fine. never even knew the sys was there. only thing is I need to paint the side supports where it mounts to the frame due to corrosion. I even converted my dad to this sys after I put a king pin in a gooseneck and tow it all over. works great. if you get it you wont be disappointed. takes me about 2 min to go from tow to reg pick up with the companion, 2 people one to pull the rod and one to remove the companion hitch. my .02 cents worth, Billy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts